Saturday, October 25, 2008

Happy Almost-Halloween!

OK, I think I'm ready to start blogging after the Great Computer Disaster of 2008.
First; Gratuitous cute-kid pictures,
then my Pumpkin-Lentil Stew:

OK, not they're not "kids" but teens ("Come on Mom, get it right!").

In Halloween costumes.

And they don't like being called "cute" I've been informed.
.




But I'm their Mom,
so I get to say what I want.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
. They attended a Halloween Costume party the other night, and before I get to my recipe, I just had to show off their great costumes.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
. Snow White and Pippi Longstockings (sorry, I don't know who Zorro is).
And if you knew my kids, you'd know how perfect those costume choices were for them. They got a lot of compliments and had a great time with friends!
....

When they came home from the party all chilly and frozen-nosed, I had this soup in the crock-pot because it seemed very fall-ish and warming and the Good Mom thing to do.
...
Seemed pretty popular with my resident story-book characters too. Enjoy!
.









.

Pumpkin-Lentil Soup (or Stew)


3 cups sugar pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and diced in 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cup brown lentils
2 cups coined carrots
1 can stewed diced tomatoes
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup diced onion or leeks
3 cups vegetable or vegetarian "chicken-flavored"broth
1/2 tsp ground mace
1 tsp salt
.
Fry the onion and carrots in oil in a pot over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Rinse the lentils. Add the lentils, veggie broth, salt and mace to the pot. Stir and bring to the boil.
Turn the heat down to low, cover and simmer for about 30 - 40 minutes.

Add the tomatoes and pumpkin, stir well, recover and simmer for another 20 minutes until the stew becomes thick and the pumpkin is tender, adding more broth or water if needed.

For a crock pot, fry veggies as directed above, then add everything to crock pot and cook on high for 4 hours or until veggies and lentils are soft.

15 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

So fun!!! :0)

Love the stew!!

Anonymous said...

Great to see you posting again--I am glad the computer is working! Those photos are cute--even if they don't like the word--and your soup/stew looks great!

Courtney

Chelsea said...

Love the costumes! The Pippi hair is so perfect :) Thanks so much for an awesome fall stew recipe!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

That yummy soup will sure melt the snow off ya!
Don't tell your kids, but they look totally CUTE!! :)

LucyDelRey said...

Your girls are soo cute and great costumes too. I just loved Pippi as a child. "I am Pippi Longstocking how I love my funny name... I'm only nine, I always live alone.. a monkey and a horse". I love Halloween even though my mom thought it was Pagan.

Justine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Justine said...

Its great to hear what you guys have been up to! The lentil soup looks so yummy! I've never used mace in all my years of cooking. What flavor do you associate it with and what's a good substitute if we can't get any? Thanks!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Mace is one of those old-fashioned spices you hardly hear about any more. It's used a lot in baking. It's also used in Swedish/Norwegian dishes. It really enhances the lentils and squash. I'd sub about 1/4 tsp. nutmeg and a little speck of cardemom instead. Or just nutmeg. I agree, if you don't have it on hand, and don't/won't use it otherwise, then sub something else, spices are expensive!

Judy's Nutrition said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to say hi. Those costumes are great, and the soup/chili looks fantastic. I love lentils and pumpkin so a natural combination.

aTxVegn said...

I know the kids love Halloween, but I really don't enjoy all the gore and gross stuff. Your stew on the other hand, looks wonderful!

Catherine Weber said...

What size can of tomatoes did you use for this recipe?? (Because I want to make it this weekend!!!! YUM!!)

Unknown said...

Yummy! I have been looking for crockpot recipes. I cannot wait to try this.

Kristin Joy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheree' said...

The costumes look great as does the soup. I have a butternut squash just waiting to be used. :o)

Glad you are back. I hate it when computers decide to take on a mind of their own and die.

Sweet Basil said...

The stew looks yummy. Love your use of spices.