Friday, October 10, 2008

"Chicken"-Pie Blobs

Because I made these up on the spur of the moment with what we had in the fridge, (why does my cooking always seem to be that way?) I have no trendy name or glamorous recipe title. These happy accidents tasted like little chicken pot pies and looked like misshapen blobs, so that's what we called them and the name stuck...

This is great "comfort food", very kid friendly and a perfect way to use up extra veggies, potato, or whatever you have in the fridge. Much easier than the long, wordy directions make it sound. And seriously, isn't ANYTHING wrapped in puff-pastry going to be yummy?

Veggie Chicken Pie Blobs
(or "Bundles" if you MUST be more sophisticated)

1 pkg. puff pastry sheets (Pepperidge Farms ones are vegan, who knew!!)
2 Tbsp soy milk

1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 cups chopped brocolli (or a package mixed veggies or chopped, cooked potato or whatever you like)
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 package THAWED Morningstar Farms "chicken strips" or ANY other "chicken style product you like, chicken nuggets, whatever - chopped into smallish chunks...

Gravy:
1 cup vegetarian "chicken broth" or vegetable broth
1 cup plain soy milk
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 tsp. sage
1/4 tsp. onion powder
salt and pepper to taste

Thaw the pastry sheets at room temperature 30 min.
Preheat oven to 400°F.

Saute brocolli, onion and mushrooms in oil until onion is translucent. Add "chicken" and cook 5 min. longer.

Make the "gravy": Bring broth and soymilk carefully to a boil. Dissolve cornstarch in a small amount of cold water and add to broth, stirring carefully until thickened. Remove from heat. Season to taste with salt, pepper, sage and onion powder. Mix gravy into vegetables and "chicken" gradually, only until it's very moist, but not "soupy" - you may not use all the gravy.

Grease muffin cups well. Unfold pastry on lightly floured surface. Roll each sheet into 12" square and cut each 9 squares. Stick a square into a muffin cup and push down - quite a bit should stick up over the edge. Put a small spoonful of vegetable-chicken-gravy filling in (only fill the cup about half). Dab a bit of soymilk on the edges. Bundle up the edges (you may have to gently stretch the dough a bit) and seal them all together in a messy blob-like-thing.

Bake for 20 min. or until golden brown.

Remove, let set 5 min. or so, and carefully remove "blobs" from muffin pan by sliding a knife blade around edges. The filling will be HOT and they do tend to stick to the pan.

14 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Ha, so fun!! :0)

Calimaryn said...

Blobs! How darn cute. Most of my attempts to be fancy end up very blob like in shape. Of course I eat it anyways but calling it as it is always inspires! Thanks for the recipe and encouragement to keep myself honest.

Jen said...

i like the name "happy accidents". good idea, i'll have to put these together soon--sounds like a nice wintery comfort food!

SSM said...

These sound so good! I can't wait to try them, thanks for all the great recipes!

Matt (Our Veggie Kitchen) said...

Hey, I had veggie pockets on the menu for this weekend. I hope they turn out looking half as good as your blobs. The really do look good.

Bianca said...

Cute! I love the idea of bite-sized chicken pot pies! And you're right about puff pastry. I could wrap my dog's poop in a puff pastry and it'd probably taste good.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Chicken pie blobs! I love that name - forget bundles! There's nothing wrong about a blob as long as it's wrapped in puff pastry! They look so crunchy good!

Lisa said...

Blobs! I love it! Guess I need to go get me some puff pastry!

(and one of my favorite winter staples is a lentil-and-brown-rice concoction known as "slop")

VeganView said...

Those BLOBS look great, you are so creative! If I ever attempt this, I will post it just for you to see how much better yours have come out ;)

Unknown said...

Thanks for this recipe. It inspired me to create my own version-check it out:)

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Mmm, blobs! hehehe.

Virginia said...

i might try this but use some tofu instead of the "chicken" strips. how cute!

VeganView said...

You've been tagged! Show us the contents of your freezer! http://veganview.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Yummy! We are going to have to try this. I bet the kiddos will love it.