Sunday, May 18, 2008

Chard Two Ways













I absolutely LOVE Swiss Chard, (although it's been determined that I pretty much love any vegetable) but nevertheless, I was excited to see beautiful bunches of Rainbow Chard this week at the Farmer's Market.

I know I could grow these colorful little greens too, but frankly, I eat a LOT of chard and I'm happy enough to consume weekly supplies from our local farmers.

Now, I had also been waiting for a reason to use this incredible Artisan applewood-smoked salt that Froggy bought me last month. Doesn't it look fun?

So, creative (ha?) person that I am, I invented the SIMPLEST CHARD EVER:

Chop 1 bunch rainbow chard, (yes, even the stems, they really are NOT tough so why not eat them too). Put chard in a skillet with juice from 1/2 a lemon and 1 tsp olive oil. Saute about thirty seconds until wilted. Sprinkle with just a bit of Smoked Salt. yum......

A little salty, a little tangy, with the slightest hint of sweet smokinesss. Perfect. (Of course if you don't have the Smoked Salt, it's going to be equally tasty without.)

And if that's not enough, here's "recipe" number two. I worked so hard.
Ready?

Butterfly Pasta with Sauteed Chard.
Just toss some sauteed chard with cooked pasta and a handful of pine nuts or sliced almonds. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.

Couldn't be simpler and it tastes SOOO good!
I'm so glad there's a whole lot more of this stuff around - AND that it's pretty dang good for me!















And finally, just for your amusement, (well, it amused us anyway... )

Here is Jack the Pirate Cat - napping in the laundry basket with his chin propped on the phone.

Me thinks he fell asleep talking to his girlfriend, or maybe he's dreaming of ordering take-out? Possibly he's just trying to avoid chores... Sounds too much like me, I know I certainly can't fold any laundry that might disturb a sleeping kitty.

Happy weekend everyone. Get your chores done.

12 comments:

radioactivegan said...

i'm sure he's expecting an important call from the president!

Anonymous said...

what a cute kitty! My cat looks very similar, but she hasn't learned to talk on the phone yet.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

You're sooo lucky that you've been able to find decent swiss chard at the Farmer's Market - I haven't been able to find ANY :0( Love your recipes/meal ideas for serving up the chard!

HAHA!!! Your cat is too adorable :0D

Nat said...

the recipes sound so great, i can't wait to try em!!

Bianca said...

I don't believe I've ever had chard...and I'm not sure why. I should put that on my list of new foods to try...I've been doing Chocolate Covered Vegan's new food challenge.

aTxVegn said...

I love chard too. My farmers market has a booth with about 20 varieties of salts, but they are awfully expensive. Have you tried yours yet?

Kate said...

The cat is adorable, and looks just like my little Fernie.

I have never had chard, I'll have to give it a try as I explore new vegetables.

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

love the kitty pic! sooo cute!!!

Amy said...

Mmmm you set up a chard craving. Having it for dinner tonight, but try as I might, I could not find smoked salt anywhere :( (just a nasty smokey bbq salt full of msg and flavour enhancers, blech!) so plain salt it is for us! Simple recipes are often the best ones.

And I love your kitty!

Anonymous said...

Jack is adorable! What a fun picture. I can't wait until chard starts showing up at our farmer's market.

Cynthia said...

I would love to get my hands on some of that salt.

Not a Fan said...

Great photo!
What kind of cat is Jack? I have two Blue Russians that look just like him!