Thursday, April 17, 2008

LightLife Score and More!

OK, so waiting on my front porch today was a NICE size box filled with every wonderful looking sort of goodie from the generous people at LightLife foods...

Seriously, they said they were sending me a "few samples" which I thought was cool; I don't have access to many of their products, and am always curious about the ones I do see, but don't want to waste precious grocery money on something I may not like...

But WOW! I am delightfully overwhelmed. A insulated box FULL of Gimme-Lean and tempeh and bacon-like stuff and... I don't think I've ever seen 3/4 of these things. And yes, while I realize they do have calories and processing, and sodium and plastic packaging and whatever fault you may wish to find, I am happy and would say nice things regardless. (BTW, they actually are a pretty "green" company, which is even better!!)

You see, even if it ends up we are not crazy about their products (which I doubt!) you just can't imagine how much I appreciate this unexpected boost to my tiny little grocery budget!

That said: Tonight I used the SmartBacon, fried it up a little crisp (yes, I said FRIED!) and made BLT's (which were really GBLAOT's - hmmm, sounds appetizing, yes? Grilled, with avocado and some mild Walla Walla Sweet onions).

Well, can I just say that my "faux-meat-skeptic" children inhaled several delicious bacon-y sandwiches in the time it took me to photograph one... that in itself should be proof enough. Definitely a keeper.

9 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Wow, talk about a generous sampler of goods!! So glad that you AND your children loved the LightLife products :0)

JENNA said...

Lucky you! I've had quite a few company's contact me and say they are going to send me samples to review and then never do. Your GBLAOT looks devine, fried and all!

Tracy said...

When I was in Bangor last fall, I picked up some of the lightlife stuff, and I was so impressed that I emailed them when I got back, asking for them to start selling the products here in Canada. (I was kicking myself that I hadn't bought a whole trunkfull.) Anyway, they sent me a very nice email, stating something to the effect that our laws here had made it too much of a hassle, I think. So you know that I am GREEN WITH ENVY right now, Tofu mom. Hope you enjoy every bite. :0)

Anonymous said...

awww you lucky thing! *jealous*
Its good to receive surprises in the mail! I hope you enjoyed them :)

Cynthia said...

It is really a good deal when these products actually work and taste great. Good for you!

Nat said...

ooh, i LOVE the smart bacon!! makes great mock ramaki and great wrapped around vegan scallops.

not sure if they sent it to you or not, but their pepperoni is EXCELLENT!! :oD

Unknown said...

Oh wow. I have been looking for a bacon substitute. I will try this. Thank you for the recommendation.

danakscully64 said...

I absolutely LOVE Lightlife. While I can't get enough Smart Bacon (cooked crispy and dipped in maple syrup), the best product by them is Smart BBQ.

Kate said...

That sandwich is one of my favorites. Who cares if it is processed? I try so hard, all the time, living in a podunk area with no vegan "easies" anywhere and it is worth the treat once and a while!