Thursday, March 27, 2008

My Daughter is in Mozambique.

If you've been reading my blog for long, you'll know my older teens usually spend Spring Break on some sort of mission or service trip.

This year is no exception. They definitely have the "travel bug".

My oldest 'Sprout' is with a group of classmates and teachers, in Mozambique, right now for her Spring Break.

They are constructing some buildings and security fences for a clinic near the town of Maputo, I believe.

For whatever reason, Mozambique seems so much FURTHER away than when she's been on previous trips to Ecuador, Peru, etc... (well, yes, I do realize it actually IS further away.)

Fortunately I've recieved a couple newsy e-mails from her and from the group leader, and it sounds like they're having all SORTS of adventures. (The sort that make me old before my time).


Bugs, wild animals, heat stroke, unexpectedly cold weather, flooding, sunburn (yes, my daughter is the burnt offering of the group, I'm so proud), a broken ankle (not her) and police wielding AK-47 rifles searching their bus. *ACK*

"But Mom, we're having so much FUN!"

Here's a few pictures e-mailed from Maputo, Mozambique. Obviously internet communication (or any sort really) is infrequent and limited. Stay tuned though.

If you're the praying sort, keep the group in your prayers.

I'll post a long and picture-filled update when she returns with her stories and three digital-camera memory cards full (so far).

2 comments:

Binx said...

I just want to let you know that I really enjoy your blog. You're so creative and upbeat, it's a pleasure to read your entries as they are written with such a postive tone. Good luck to you and your daughters, and don't worry too much!

-charlotte

Unknown said...

I think that is awesome and I can't wait to hear how the trip went.