Sunday, February 10, 2008

Kid-Favorite Tofu "Fish" Sticks

My kids still get a craving for those crunchy-fried fast-food style "Fish Fillet Sandwiches" every now and then.

Even though this wasn't ever something I personally ate, I think we've managed a pretty good (and much more healthy!!) substitute, especially since the fish-eaters said they really like it!

The idea sorta came from Jennifer and her "Vegan Lunch Box" cookbook, but over time, I have since altered it to suit my family and the ingredients we prefer.

Crunchy "Fishy" Tofu Fillets (or "Sticks")

1 lb. package firm tofu, drained
1/3 cup flour
1 Tbsp cornmeal
2 Tbsp wheat germ
1/3 cup cornflakes
2/3 cup sliced almonds
2 tsp. kelp granules or flakes or crumbled Nori or any seaweed-y thing you might have
several shakes of cayenne or New Mexico red chile powder
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. dill weed
1/4 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp lemon pepper

2/3 cup plain, unsweetened soymilk
2 Tbsp Vegenaise
1 lemon, juiced

Combine dry ingredients, EXCEPT cornflakes, and blend on high in food processor or blender until most of the almonds have been turned into a coarse meal, with a few larger pieces of almond remaining. Crush cornflakes in a plastic bag (until they're in very small but not powdery pieces) Add to dry mix. Stir. Pour the mixture into a wide baking dish or pie plate.

Mix soymilk, Veganaisse and lemon juice. Pour into another shallow dish.

Cut the tofu into even slices (or "sticks") just under ½-inch wide. Working with one piece at a time, dip the tofu into the soymilk, then toss gently in the dry mixture to coat evenly.

Fry in a non-stick pan with a bit of olive or coconut oil. Brown on one side and turn carefully, brown remaining side and sprinkle with lemon juice.

OR bake (OK, honestly - I don't think they turn out quite as flavorful or crispy, but yes, they ARE more healthy and they're still pretty good):

Place tofu pieces baking sheet. When all the tofu fish are on the baking sheet, sprinkle them with olive oil.
Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the tofu fish over and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until crispy.

Serve with lemon and vegan "tarter sauce" or in a sandwich.

14 comments:

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

great idea! i was never a seafood/fish gal pre-vegan days but this sounds yummy. i rarely coat tofu in cornmeal and i really should start.

Carrie said...

mmmm...these look good!

Veggie Cookster said...

I never really liked fish when I ate meat... but I just may have to give this a try. My fiance likes fish, so maybe I'll make these when he's around. Thanks for sharing! :)

Jody from VegChic said...

Like PPV, I was never much of a fish eater as an omni. I've got to say I tend to really enjoy recipes like Tofishy sticks or "Not Tuna" salad made with chick peas and Old Bay seasoning.

Thanks for reminding me of this recipe. I've got some tofu in the fridge that needs to be used up this week.

bazu said...

Yum- thanks for the recipe! I think I'll make these for lunch right now.

bazu said...

ok I'm back! I just made these for lunch (with a few small changes because of what I had on hand) and they were EXCELLENT! WOW. Daiku and I are licking our chops- I'll be sure to blog about these soon!

Amy said...

Wow, I really miss those Filet-O-Fish sandwiches from McDs... I'll have to try these! Now can you help us make the supremely unhealthy planks from Long John Silver's?

TB said...

Tofu Mom, this is such a great idea! My husband really missed "fish and chips" every once in a while, and this looks like a great substitute. I can't wait to try these on him and see how happy they make him!

radioactivegan said...

These are really tasty. You're right about frying them. I baked some to compare, and as much as I wanted to like the baked ones, the fried ones were just so much tastier!

esther said...

I have to tellyou, I've been on your blog, since yesterday and I've printed out many of your recipes...my God, delicious! I live in France, and we don't have many vegetarien or even less végan things...and your blog juste gives me craving, hihi. I'll probably be trying out most of your stuff this week! thank you so much!!!

Carrie™ said...

I've made the "fish" sticks from the Vegan Lunchbox a few times, but these are "fish" sticks knocked up a notch or two. I'm printing off this recipe and trying these for sure. Thanks!

vko said...

I must make these because I used to love love love a fish fillet sandwich! thank you!

Caitlin said...

I have just recently started reading some of the vegan blogs, and from what I can see ( other opinions) 'Tofu Mom'
puts out nice recipes! I tried the Tofu fish sticks yesterday, and they were very good. I didn't slice the tofu thinly enough, though. Next time I will do so, as well as maybe double the breading mixture. All I know is that i will be making these again.
One question; can you freeze the leftovers? It's only me eating them, and I can only eat one or two at a time. Thanks and keep on cooking!

Shellyfish said...

I just linked over from "Where's the Revolution"- so glad I did! I'm having trouble getting my 2 & 1/2 year old to eat anything other than fruit and tofu-dogs, and was looking for something that reminded me of the comfort food my poor mom tried to get us to eat as kids...thank you so much for sharing! I'm totally linking your blog- I know I'll be back again for other inspiration/ideas!