Friday, February 01, 2008

Ginger Pumpkin Scones

OK, so I found a recipe that was supposed to be just exactly like those yummy (but not vegan) Pumpkin Scones that Starbucks sells... I used to be in love with those things. Well, the recipe wasn't all that great, so I messed it all around and made them much better (if I do say so myself) AND made them vegan.

My family LOVES them. Then I posted them over at VeggieBoards and got a good reception there as well, so I thought I'd post them for you fine fellow-bloggers too.
Yes, LOTS of ginger in these. But I'm a fan. And it's good for you!
PUMPKIN SCONES

1/2 cup sugar
3 1/2 cups flour (I use 1/2 white, so shoot me!)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ginger powder
2 Tbsp. finely minced candied ginger
1 Tbsp. finely shredded/grated fresh ginger root
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup margarine
2 TB. coconut oil
2 cups pureed pumpkin (fresh or canned, either is fine).

In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and dry ginger and cinnamon).
Cut in margarine and coconut oil, adding a bit at a time until mixed. Add pumpkin and candied and fresh ginger and combine well.
On a lightly floured surface, knead dough a few times, pushing it into two corcles, a few inches thick.
Cut each circle into 5 or so fat triangular pieces. Imagine you are cutting a pizza so that you get even, triangular slices.(Not that it matters if they're even.)

Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until done.

I usually sprinkle the tops with sugar before baking, or drizzle with an orange glaze or something if I'm feeling all Martha Stewart-y.

5 comments:

Jodie said...

That sounds delicious!

MeloMeals said...

Yum!

Rage And Love said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! It lead me to yours!

Those ginger pumpkin scones look so goooood!! I want to try it now!

Julie said...

My mom loves scones-thanks so much for posting this!

TB said...

Those look so yummy!