Friday, January 04, 2008

Yummy Vegan Salad Dressings

My sister and I were just discussing homemade salad dressings and I got to thinking "Hey - I have several really good vegan recipes that I've not posted!"

(Who thinks to post just SALAD DRESSINGS after all. )

Well, my sister isn't vegan but she's definitely a good vegetarian cook and (way-to-go) she's doing her darndest to impress her boyfriend with her culinary skills involving no animal products (He being a dyed-in-the-wool game hunter and all, pfffft).

AND! Little Sister's moved herself off to the omni-populated, wild woods of Alaska (of all places), but none the less, she's wowing the people in her workplace with a few vegan goodies. I'm so proud of her!

Anyway, the purpose of my rambling introduction? I love making my own dressings and have several that are favorites with family and friends - and SURPRISE! They're all vegan... so I was inspired by our conversation to post a few recipes for awesome VEGAN SALAD DRESSINGS.

Creamy Ranch
(can even be made "raw")

-- 1 1/4 cups raw cashews (soak them for an hour or so, then drain for a creamier dressing)
-- 3/4 cup soymilk OR water if you want a completely RAW dressing!!
-- 1/2 a lemon, juiced
-- 1/3 cup cider vinegar (I think that's raw, right?)
-- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
-- 3 cloves garlic
-- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
-- 3 teaspoons onion powder
-- 1 teaspoon dill (or 2 tsp fresh - fresh is better!)
-- 1 tablespoon sea salt
-- 1/2 teaspoon basil (or 1 Tbsp. fresh, fresh is better)

And to add after it's done:1/4 cup finely minced parsley and 1/2 t more dill, minced.
Blend cashews and liquid until creamy and smooth - this takes a while. Then add everything except the last 2, then once blended, stir in the last 2 ingredients. This gets thicker in the fridge.

SO SO YUMMY and no one guesses it's vegan OR "raw".
=========================


Tahini Viniagrette
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup sesame tahini, stirred very well
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
2 "grinds" fresh black pepper
3 Tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 cup lightly packed fresh parsley
1/2 cup cold water

Heat garlic in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a pan over low heat for 2 minutes, just until it's starting to soften but is NOT cooked or brown.

Add garlic and all ingredients (including the rest of the oil) except parsley to the food processor and blend until smooth.

Add the parsley and blend until parsley is very finely chopped but not solid green and it's all blended in. Refrigerate before serving.

This is so good on baby spring greens. Yum.
=======================

Mango Mint Dressing

1 mango, peeled, pitted, chopped and pureed
2 sliced green onions
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves

Puree all ingredients except fresh herbs in a blender or food processor until smooth. Add fresh mint leaves and cilantro and pulse until herbs are chopped.

Delicious on rice noodles or a Thai type salad.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for posting these recipes. I have to admit that I avoided salads for awhile after becoming vegan but I really missed Ranch dressing. Since finding out that Kraft creamy italian is vegan, I've been able to eat salads again but I still miss ranch dressing.

Carla said...

That creamy ranch looks divine!! Will have to remember this for when salald weather rolls around again! I tend to just throw stuff together to dress a salad and not write it down.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

such delicious-sounding salad-dressing recipes!! thanks for posting them!! I'm especially keen on the raw one :0)

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

those sound incredible! it is a shame how often salad dressings are overlooked when they can so easily be superstars (as yours totally seem to be). that mango one especially is calling to the rice noodles in my pantry! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy new Year!!

Thanks for the recipes

Amy said...

Mmmmm Ranch Dip. Copying it down right now (and tofu free! Woo Hoo!). I'm already addicted to your Cashew Alfredo recipe....thinking this one will be just as popular around here :D

J said...

Those dressings look so yummy! I can think of all sorts of things I'd like to put those on.

I love your blog by the way. I'm new to the blogging world, and just started reading not too long ago, but have definetly enjoyed it so far.

Jennifer

JENNA said...

what great looking dressing recipes...i'm really excited to try them all but especially the rance dressing!

Anonymous said...

I can't get enough of salad dressings. I'm going to try that tahini one tomorrow. =) Yum!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

dang, tofu mom! thanks for these amazing sounding recipes! feel free to post about salad dressing all the time ; )

Shelley said...

The salad dressings all look YUM! Can't wait to try them! :)

Rural Vegan said...

Thanks for the ranch recipe. Good vegan ranches are so hard to find, I try every one I come across!

Good-Dees said...

Mango mint looks awesome. Sounds great for a spinach salad!
Thank you!

Cynthia said...

I've bookmarked these! Thanks!

aTxVegn said...

Oh, yum! I love all of these dressings with no tofu or vegan mayo. Thanks for the recipes!

Nat said...

you are completely reading my mind!! i was just trying to find recipes for some good homemade dressings. can't wait to try them!! the mango mint sounds heavenly!!

julie hasson said...

Hi Tofu Mom! Your salad dressing recipes look great. Thanks for sharing.

Shananigans said...

Oooh, this all sounds wonderful! I might make the ranch to bring to a wine and cheese party I'm invited to tomorrow. This hostess always has a generous veggie platter, but I plan to bring a couple vegan dips. Hummus and ranch, mmmmm...

MeloMeals said...

Looks and sounds delicious!

MeloMeals said...

I can't wait to try your cashew ranch! It looks so good!

Thanks for posting these!

Rose said...

Thank you so much for all your suggestions and tips - I'll definitely be putting them to use!

The Little Mama said...

Awesome recipes! I love mango..mmm.
And it's too funny that your daughter has the same pyjamas as my son. That's so neat!

urban vegan said...

Tahini vinaigrette...yowsa!

Michelle said...

oh my, that ranch dressing looks good.. i'll have to try that soon.

bazu said...

Thanks so much for these recipes- I am a salad freak, and always welcome new recipes to bust me out of my vinaigrette ruts!

Anonymous said...

Just wondering how long your dressing would keep refrigerated?

Many thanks...

Nat said...

just realized i never commented after i made the ranch dressing. it is phenomenal!! this is my ALL TIME favorite ranch dressing!! it is soo good that i find foods to put it on!! it definitely increases my veggie consumption!!

i made a tostada with soy chorizo (from trader joe's, theirs is the best) lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, etc and topped it with your ranch and everybody loved it!! it is a new favorite in our household!!

thanks for the great recipes!!:oD