Monday, November 26, 2007

Brrrr.... 22 degrees outside and I need something hot-n-spicy for supper!
...
Yeah, yeah, I know I'm a weenie! Lots of you have much more severe winters than we see here in the Pacific Northwest, but I still like to whine just a little...

I've had some large-ish chunk-style TVP that's needed using up for ages, and since I was out of anything else that might resemble "Taco filling" I threw this together.
,,,

TVP and Corn Tacos with Roasted Tomato-Corn Salsa

1/2 cup large chunks of dry TVP
(Reconstitute with 1/2 cup boiling water, 1 tsp. soy sauce and 1/2 cup tomato sauce)

1/2 cup chopped onion, sauteed in a bit of oil until clear
1 cup cooked lentils (leftovers I had in the fridge)
1 cup cooked corn (white, yellow, frozen or canned, I don't think it matters)
1 cup mild, chunky salsa
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

Shredded lettuce if desired
chopped tomatoes if desired
sliced olives if desired
shredded vegan cheese if desired

Fire-roasted Tomato and Corn Salsa (recipe follows)

corn tortillas

Soak TVP for 15 minutes. Mix TVP, onions, lentils, corn and salsa in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until hot. Brown corn tortillas in lightly oiled non-stick skillit.

Fill with taco filling, top with Salsa, lettuce, cheese, olives and/or tomatoes if desired.

Fire Roasted Tomato and Corn Salsa

1 28-oz can Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes
1 7-oz can green chiles, chopped (or 1/2 cup fresh roasted green chiles)
1 clove of garlic put thru garlic press
2 green onions, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup of very loosely packed fresh chopped cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup corn
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients and let set while you prepare the tacos, if you have the time.


10 comments:

Sheree' said...

Brrrrr... I agree with you! I think your tacos look great. I love corn in my tacos. Where do you find big chunk TVP? Down here I can only fine the tiny crumble stuff.

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

yeah, that's cold enough to whine for me. i whine when its in the 30s and 40s (of course, I am from Florida).
isn't corn the best? i love it in mexican inspired cuisine like yr plate of food.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

haha, I'll gladly whine along with you - it's only been in the 30s here, and it has been raining/hailing as well!! wwaaahhh!!! ;0)

mmm, the TVP tacos look quite delicious!!

Cynthia said...

Pack up and come spend the time down here until it warms up there.

Anonymous said...

22 degrees! I've been complaining because it's been in the 60s here.

Your tacos look terrific -- yum!

TB said...

Such pretty tacos! ...It's in the 60s where I am (California) so I don't get to whine about the temperature ;)

Anonymous said...

LOL You should see the snow we have here! I posted a couple of pictures of our yard :p

I love how you make me want tacos. I never think of making them so thanks!

Candi said...

Oh! I forgot I had some TVP until I saw your picture! oh, those look so good! That's a great way to warm up in the cold. I'd add tons of hot sauce to mine! :P Britty is addicted to that filling inside cabbage leaves! it's so crunchy and very good! I like the soft tortillas too though, so I have to have both! :)

Nicole said...

It's very humid here in SG (so you might want to kick my tofu instead for reminding you of the warm, sweet sun) but it seems your food gets yumm'ier and more delicious each time I check on.

This is the 2nd comment today that people are making vegan taco's, it makes a young girl want to go out and get some Taco's & Beans.

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

the tacos look amazing! I'll have to try making them sometime.