Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Tofu of Insane Wonderful Yumminess

Oh. My. Goodness.

I stumbled upon what is quite possibly the most wonderful tofu ever created.

Maybe everyone knows about this stuff except me. Where have I been?
















We went to an Asian Market today and I decided to get some fried tofu.

I'd heard the taste and texture were similar to the yummy tofu found in so many restaurant dishes. While looking at the different styles and types of already-fried tofu, I saw some labelled "Onion Flavored Fried Tofu".

Being of the tofu-curious sort, I decided to give it a try...

Well, I bought some Onion Tofu and some regular Fried Tofu. But I decided to try the Onion Flavored Fried Tofu first.

For lack of something more creative, and because I like quick and simple, I just tossed it in a pan with a little peanut oil, stirring and turning until it started to brown (more) and crisp up.

Then I sprinkled a little soy sauce and sesame oil on it, tossed it in the frying pan a moment more and put it on a bed of baby greens. Drizzled with some Peanut Sauce it made the most scrumptious salad I've ever had.

Oh my gosh! The tofu had an incredible flavor with the onions in it. It browned and crisped up beautifully. And the texture was perfect, perfect, perfect. I can't stop raving.

If you ever see this stuff at your local handy-dandy Asian market, by all means BUY SOME and try it. Totally different. Totally better.

Oh, and the cool thing? My tofu-hating daughter came in, saw the tofu and thought it was big, crispy croutons. She popped one in her mouth and looked surprised for a moment then said "WOW! Mom, you have to make this stuff again RIGHT AWAY! I could eat a whole pan full!"

I plan to!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

The onion flavored tofu sounds so delish! I always get overwhelmed when I try to find things at the Asian grocery but I need to keep going and looking for new and exciting food to try!

Unknown said...

Wow, it sounds delicious! Sadly we have no Asian grocery stores for 120 miles...still next time I am in Auxerre, I'll see if I can find it.

Veggie Cookster said...

Mmm, that looks awesome. Must find the nearest Asian market to me! :D

Rose said...

Sounds like that tofu is really good, I need to try it!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

i'll be on the look out for this!

Julie said...

YUM! I've always wondered if I should give that Asian market 'fu a try. Thanks for the heads-up! Good news about your daughter, too!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Wow, thanks for the tip! I've been meaning to hit up some of the asian markets for tofu/bean curd products. I will be on the lookout for that one, it sounds delicious, and so easy!

Anonymous said...

that sounds very good!we have no Asian grocery stores, but now i really wish we have one.

Unknown said...

And if you are in Seattle, you can buy that Thanh Son Tofu directly at the factory / store, along with their uber-fresh soymilk. They are at 118 12th Ave. It does indeed rock, especially the fried lemongrass flavor!

Michael Natkin
The Vegetarian Foodie Blog

Isabelle said...

Wow! Sounds wonderful. I wish we could get this kind of tofu over here. Your photo looks soooooo tempting I'm fighting myself not try and take a bite at the monitor. *drools*

urban vegan said...

I'e seen many carieties of this at my Asian mega-market. I am not a huge fan of fried food but I'll admit, it looks great!

Almost Vegetarian said...

Oh that sounds gorgeous. I've been trying different things with tofu lately, but this, this sounds like it would get the husband into the kitchen. Without any prodding! And that's good all around.

Cheers!

Bananas said...

Hi! A few of us local ladies just started a site for Seattle-area mommy bloggers. We'd love to have you join if you're interested- www.seattlemomblogs.com. Also, we have your blog on our blogroll, but if you don't want it listed there please let us know! Take care! Jenny