Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Tastier? Eh... How About Some Asparagus Soup?

My wonderful - and VEGAN friend "Froggy" (whom I met at VeggieBoards) was in town recently and we spent the afternoon at Pike Place Market in Seattle. In our wanderings throughout the market stalls, we ran across this sign. Couldn't resist a picture.

Seriously. Check out their slogan... "Whey Tastier Pork". Gives me the willies...

Needless to say we did NOT make any purchases, at this stop anyway.

A bit further down the market we did find a market vendor with rows and rows of beautiful Walla Walla asparagus. (I went to college in the Walla Walla valley, and became absolutely spoiled by the abundance of wonderful, tiny, tender, spring asparagus that grows in the rich soil there.)

Finally it's time for my favorite spring recipe... Asparagus Soup!

This stuff is so easy and so good, the ultimate veggie 'comfort food' since I LOVE soups AND asparagus!

I originally posted the recipe over at Veggieboards, but recently had a friend ask me to add it to the list in my blog, so, here ya go!

--------------------------------

1 pound fresh asparagus
3/4 cup chopped Walla Walla sweet onion (or a leek works great here too!)
1/2 cup vegetarian 'chicken-flavor' broth
1 Tbsp. Earth Balance or other margerine
2 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
1 1/4 cups vegetarian "chicken-flavor" broth
1 cup soy milk
1/2 cup soy yogurt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese (optional, but really adds to finished product)

Place asparagus and onion in a pan with the 1/2 cup broth. Bring broth and veggies to a boil, turn down the heat and let simmer until the vegetables are tender.
If you want to be fancy - save a few asparagus tips for garnish.
Place all the remaining cooked vegetables and broth in an electric blender or food processor and puree until smooth (I use an immersion or "boat-moter" type blender and blend CAREFULLY right in the pan thn save in a bowl or something.
Melt margerine in the pan that was used for simmering the asparagus and onions. Stir while sprinkling flour, salt, and pepper into the margerine. Don't let the flour brown!
Let the mixture cook 2 minutes.
Stir in remaining 1 1/4 cups of broth and increase the heat.
Continue stirring until the mixture comes to a boil. Stir the vegetable puree and soymilk into the saucepan. Whisk yogurt into the mixture, followed by lemon juice. Stir until heated through, then ladle into bowls.

Garnish with reserved asparagus tips.
Sprinkle with Parmesan "cheese" if desired.


This is the absolute perfect "spring" comfort food for me (I think I said that already?) ... sometimes I'll garnish with fresh Lemon Thyme from my herb garden - a match made in heaven!

3 comments:

Twisted Cinderella said...

There is nothing tastier than a nice asparagus soup! Yummy!

KleoPatra said...

OOOOOOOOOH! Sounds SO good. That market sign scared the **** out of me! :O) Seriously. Ugh!

Anonymous said...

i love asparagus!