Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Chick-Pea "Tuna" Salad

As I was scrambling madly to get lunches made the other night, I thought about this sandwich filling and wondered if I'd ever blogged it.
Sometimes we forget the basics and only blog the fun and fancy-looking stuff. But "basics" are good too, and probably what I get requests for the most.

This has been my "go-to" for lunches for my kids and myself, for probably over fifteen years for SO many reasons.
Garbanzos (or chickpeas) are cheap, whether you cook your own from dry, or buy them canned.
And besides being cheap, this is super easy, good for you, (because beans, duh), and my kids LOVE it.
I realize there's approximately twenty-hundred similar chickpea sandwich recipes out there, but this is the version we like -  and next time someone asks me about my sandwich, I can just say "it's on my blog". The chickpeas mash up nice and flaky, not entirely unlike tuna, and the optional bit of kelp or other seaweed gives it a very faint ocean flavor  Definitely give it a try, even if you weren't ever a tuna sandwich fan!


Chickpea "Tuna" Sandwich 
2 cups cooked, well drained garbanzos OR 1 can, drained and rinsed
*(Note: I actually DRY the cooked garbanzos off by rolling them around on a couple paper towels. Makes the mixture more "flaky")
2 stalks of celery, roughly chopped 2 green onions, roughly chopped, or 2 Tbs. minced shallot or red onion
1 Tb. dill pickle relish (drain a bit if too "juicy/liquidy)
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. celery salt
1/2 tsp. soy sauce
1/4 tsp. kelp powder or crumbled nori or seaweed of some sort (optional, to taste)
3 Tbsp vegan mayonnaise

Directions:
Pulse the chickpeas in a food mixer until flaky, or mash with a fork.
Scrape into a bowl.
Pulse the celery, onion and dill pickles until finely minced, or mince by hand.
I tend to like the hand-minced texture better, but then it's not QUITE so "quick and easy", so, your call.
Add celery and stuff to the bowl with garbanzos, stir in all the other ingredients, adjust seasonings and mayo to taste.
Done.
We like this best after it's refrigerated overnight, then spread on toasted sourdough or wholegrain bread, (or with crackers, for my bread-averse child).
I like greens or sprouts added, sometimes my kids do, and sometimes they pick the green stuff out. Who knows what they'll prefer tomorrow!

0 comments: