Thursday, January 08, 2015

Chunky Veggie Split Pea Soup

I just made one of my family's favorite soups; a chunky, veggie-filled, split pea soup that's wonderfully hearty and cozy.
And I realized I've never shared my warm, cozy soup recipe! So, now I am.
No long wordy intro. Just soup.
And it's SOOOO GOOD! Go make this NOW!
Even if you think you don't like split pea soup, try this one. It keeps a full 5 days or more in the fridge, getting better with age, and freezes very well!
All those orange veggies provide LOADS of vitamins and antioxidants.
Pass out Mason jars full to your sick friends.
Take it to work. Heat it up and make everyone jealous.
Round it out with a green salad and whole grain crackers if you want.

Chunky, Veggie Split Pea Soup

2 Tb. olive oil or vegan margarine
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 medium carrots (1 pound), roughly cut into 1/2-inch-3/4 inch rounds
2 stalks celery, cut crosswise into 3/4-inch pieces
1 turnip, rutabaga OR 2 parsnips cut in 1/2 inch cubes (personally I loathe parsnips, but everyone else I know likes them in this soup, so use what you like!)
1 pound green split peas, rinsed and picked through
2 quarts vegetable stock
2 teaspoons smoked paprika, Bacon Salt (or whatever "smoky" flavoring you prefer)
1 bay leaf
2 smallish ruby yams or sweet potatoes cut into 3/4 in. cubes
2 Granny Smith Apples cut in 3/4 in cubes
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper


Directions
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add onion, carrots, turnip and celery.
Cook, stirring frequently, until onions begin to brown a bit and vegetables slightly soften, about 5 minutes.
Put veggies into crock pot*.
Add dry split peas, vegetable stock, smoked paprika and bay leaf; season with salt and pepper. Cook in crock pot on high until peas are soft, and carrots are soft but not mushy. (About 3 - 5 hours) Stir a couple times, add more liquid if needed but likely not necessary depending on your Crock Pot.
I can't give you an exact time because size, age and brand of crock pots differ.
After carrots and peas are soft, add lemon juice, potatoes and apples, and cook until they are tender. (About another hour.)
*You can also cook on the stove about an hour at a low simmer, watching to add more liquid if needed, adding the potatoes and apples about 30 min before serving.
 Discard bay leaf, and season with salt and pepper if desired, and serve.
This soup improves tremendously after a day or so.

2 comments:

Bianca said...

YUM!! I love me some split pea soup!

Kath said...

I just hopped over from Kay and Sime's, drawn by the promise of soup, which I love. i think I will make this tomorrow, I never thought about putting an apple in it, can't wait!
Nice to "meet" you. Kath in England.