Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Miso-Mushroom Gravy

So, it's time for another actual GRAVY recipe.
Today's recipe, a beautiful, brown Miso-Mushroom Gravy, happens to be one of my favorite gravy recipes (because it has miso and mushrooms in it, duh) and one of my favorite gravies to go over brown rice. (ALL gravy is my favorite for something, in case you haven't figured that out by now...).

Not sure when I decided that this particular gravy and rice combo was the way it "should" be, but ... well... it just is.
I've made this as a fast, easy supper for years ("easy" with the help of a rice-cooker) and even if ONE of my un-named children might pick the mushrooms out, it's still a family favorite - comfort food with a slightly "Asian" twist.
Sometimes I get all crazy and add fried tofu cubes and/or stir-fried veggies and turn it into an Asian-stir-fry-gravy mess. That's amazingly delicious too!!

Note: They say that boiling miso destroys the beneficial properties, so I always add it at the end. If you've never used miso before, this is a great way to get acquainted with it's salty, nutty, umami flavor.

Mushroom and Miso Gravy

  • 1 tsp. any regular oil
  • 1 tsp. dark sesame oil
  • 2 cups thinly sliced small mushrooms (I like shiitake or morels here if I can get them, but regular button mushrooms work well too)
  • 1 cup vegetable broth, (I actually use a "beef" style vegan broth here, I like the stronger taste and rich brown color in this gravy, you can just use regular vegetable broth or dilute half with water if you prefer it milder and less salty)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 Tablespoons white miso (or any variety) mixed with 1/4 cup warm water
  • fresh ground pepper


Saute mushrooms in oil in cast iron skillet until juices come out and mushrooms start to brown.
Add broth, water and ginger. Bring to rapid simmer, then cover and simmer gently for 5 to 7 minutes.
In a small container, combine cornstarch with just enough water to dissolve. Whisk it into the pan, bring to a boil, and cook just until the gravy thickens.
Remove from heat.
Combine miso with 1/4 cup warm water in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Stir miso into the gravy.
Season with pepper to taste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks great! My boyfriend always raves about mushroom gravy, but I've only made it once or twice and it was always a weird grey colour haha. Will have to try yours!

Kendy P said...

i am not a huge mushroom fan but the idea of adding tofu to it & veggies sounds really good! i will have to try it!