No long overly-thoughtful post tonight.
- 1 cup natural peanut butter (I have great results with Peanut Butter And Company, crunchy or smooth, but use whatever you have)
- 1/3 cup Earth Balance or other vegan margarine, cold - do NOT use Smart Balance (OR use 1/4 cup coconut oil, cool and firm but NOT rock-hard, personally I prefer the finished texture when using coconut oil)
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
In a medium bowl, cream sugar, peanut butter, and margarine or coconut oil together just until mixed. Add vinegar, water, vanilla, salt, and baking powder. Mix in flour until well blended. You may need a Tbsp. or so more flour, the dough should be "play-dough" consistency, not dry!
Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Using a sugar-coated fork, make an “x” on the top of each cookie, gently press and flatten just slightly as you do so.
Bake for 9 to 11 minutes depending on elevation and oven - or until just barely browning on the edges and firm, but not hard and crispy.
Cool on cookie sheet several minutes until firm enough to remove with spatula. Cool on wire baking rack.