Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Best Ever Sour-Cream-Veggie Dip - and Family!

Turning 50 doesn't bother me. We've established that.
But I do admit with every passing year, I become more aware of how precious life is - and how very important my family and loved ones are to me.
My children, my parents, my siblings and my aunts, uncles and cousins.
And my Grandma.

This post is dedicated to my biological Grandma, whom I only became acquainted with about fifteen years ago (that's a story in itself)!
We've made up for lost time though, and I cherish every opportunity I get to spend with her. It sounds cliche, but spend time with family, every chance you get. Relax, enjoy, mend fences, look up distant relations, search out your family tree! Family is more important than you realize.
Spending more time with them is definitely a goal I've set for my 50th year!

 My Grandma is one of the many reasons that turning 50 doesn't bother me in the least.
Why? Because my darling Grandma is 96 YEARS OLD and doesn't look (or act!) anything close to that!
She's such an inspiration!
If I manage to age HALF as beautifully and gracefully as she has; if I manage to MAKE it to 96, still dancing, driving, dating and winning at Bingo, I'll be PLENTY happy!

These pictures were taken a couple years ago at a little birthday party we threw for Grandma.
I may be a bit biased, but isn't she BEAUTIFUL? (She doesn't look a day older than when these pictures were taken, by the way).
I was the only vegan in attendance at Grandma's party, but there were plenty of good eats provided by thoughtful family. Portabellos on the grill, lovely salads, baked beans and even appetizers!


<<-- cute...="" grandma="" hawaiian="" of="" p="" proud="" s="" she="" so="" the="" theme="" uau="" very="" was="">

OK, so I brought the baked beans (VERY boring, from a can, but I had to travel and didn't have room for much.) But I also contributed this dip; a simple, tasty addition, but something I knew people would like.
It was a HUGE hit - no one raised an eyebrow or asked if it had strange vegan ingredients (I LOVE my family for that). In fact, they licked the bowl clean.
This is one of my "go-to" favorites -  and the great combination of crunchy, minced garden veggies and herbs make it a refreshing change from ranch, hummus or other typical dip options.
Try it. Seriously. Could be life changing - hahaha!

Best-Ever 'Sour Cream' Veggie Dip

1 cup (8 ounces) Tofutti (or other brand) vegan "sour cream"
1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
1/4 cup finely chopped seeded cucumber (I use the English cucumbers that don't need to be peeled)
1/4 cup finely chopped jarred roasted red pepper (or pimentos)
1/4 cup chopped green onions OR chives
1/4 cup finely chopped radishes
1 tablespoons cider vinegar or lemon juice, or to taste
2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced very fine
2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
2 Tbsp minced fresh dill (or 1 tsp. dry)

1 tsp. granulated onion powder
1/4 cup finely chopped water chestnuts
1/4 teaspoon prepared horseradish (optional, to taste)
1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/4 tsp pepper, or to taste

Directions: In a bowl, combine the ingredients; mix well.
Cover and refrigerate. It's best if made the day before.
Stir well before serving, it sometimes gets watery in spots, but mixes back together nicely!
Serve with vegetables or chips for dipping.
Yield: 2 cups.

I served it with raw veggies, pretzels and crackers.
Simple, tasty, and gone in no time.

2 comments:

Julie Hasson said...

Your grandma is adorable Marti! And the dip looks delicious!

Hasta La Vegan said...

This dip looks delicious. Can never have too many dips in my life, will have to give it a go soon