Sunday, October 14, 2012

Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake

Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake
OK, this is so yummy - and perfect for this pumpkin-fall-holiday time of year! 
Make the pie with your own roasted-and mashed squash or pumpkin - OR with the canned, plain pumpkin - either is fine.
Make the crust with any graham cracker crust recipe you have, or use a pre-made one.

There are so many good vegan cheesecake recipes out there, you may have already found one that is your favorite! I like the simplicity of this and how quick it goes together, plus it doesn't use 3 or 4 cartons of vegan cream cheese like some of the larger recipes do!
This makes a 9-inch or pie-pan size or small cheesecake.
(if you want it more traditional cheesecake size, 
done in a large springform pan, please don't try doubling this, it doesn't firm up so well when done in a larger size.)
Ingredients:
  • 1 box aseptically packaged (Mori-Nu) package firm silken tofu
  • 1 8-oz. package Tofutti Better-than Cream Cheese
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin-flavored or vanilla-flavored plant milk (I LOVE using So Delicious Pumpkin Spice Coconut Milk here, definitely try it if you have a chance!! But any non-dairy milk will work fine.)
  • 3/4  - 1 cup cooked pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 c. maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar (more if you like it sweeter)
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 Tb. fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • pinch salt
  • 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spices (or your own blend, however you like to flavor pumpkin pie)
  • 2 Tb. cornstarch
  • 1 (9 inch) prepared "graham cracker" crust of your choice.
 (I use a standard recipe and sub vanilla wafers, which are vegan, instead of graham crackers. Sometimes I use graham crackers, which have honey, making them not vegan, but that's a discussion for another time. Arrowhead Mills makes a vegan graham cracker crust. And there are tons of great recipes in many vegan cookbooks, take your pick!)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a blender, combine the ingredients and blend until smooth.
Pour into pie crust of your choice. (If you have filling left over it can be baked in custard cups!)
3. Bake for 45 - 55 minutes until center is set - it will still be a bit jiggly but will set up upon refrigerating.

Remove from oven and allow to cool; refrigerate until chilled.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love cheesecake but am so afraid of using tofu in it. Maybe I'll try it. If I can't get it too look as good as yours, maybe I'll feel courageous enough to veganize an old hazelnut cheesecake recipe I have.

Anonymous said...

I love cheesecake but am so afraid of using tofu in it. Maybe I'll try it. If I CAN get it too look as good as yours, maybe I'll feel courageous enough to veganize an old hazelnut cheesecake recipe I have.

Treehugger_31 said...

Looks tasty! I love vegan pumpkin pie!!

Vegiegail said...

Marti, this looks absolutely incredible! I am definitely going to make this for National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day on Sunday! It just so happens that I have an Arrowhead Mills vegan graham cracker crust in the pantry that's been waiting for such a perfect occasion! Thank you SO much for sharing the recipe!

Phoenix said...

As a person who used to love cheesecake, but due to developing a really nasty allergy to anything cow milk I haven't tasted it since my teens - a looooong time ago. And as a huge fan of pumpkin this is so going into my recipe rotation! ;-)

Sugar Mountain Momma said...

This looks amazing! I've been wanting to make pumpkin cheesecake since I started seeing pumpkin back on shelves.

Liz Whitaker said...

This looks amazing! I have been wanting to make pumpkin cheesecake! This is just the recipe I will use!!!