Monday, October 29, 2012

Tofu Pecan Olive Dip

We make this for every tailgate party, Superbowl event or anything requiring a "dip".
Even the tofu haters ask for more!!
It's great with veggies, crackers or pretzels; or as a spread on veggie sandwiches too!

Tofu-Pecan-Olive Dip

  • 1 cup firm tofu, mashed fine with a fork
  •  1/3 cup pecans (or pistachios)*, chopped super-fine, but not into powder, in food processor or blender (there should still be tiny bits of nuts) 
  • 2/3 cup black olives, chopped (I just buy the canned, already-chopped black olives to save myself the work - you can add a couple Tbsp. finely chopped Kalamata olives if you want extra tang and saltiness, but it's good with standard old black olives too - too many Kalamata olives turn the dip an unappetizing purple!) 
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped celery 
  • 1/4 finely chopped onion (or chop celery and onion in food processor, but I like the uniform tiny chunks you get by hand chopping...) 
  • 1 1/4 tsp onion powder 
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder 
  • 1/2 tsp. seasoning salt 
  • 1/2 cup vegan mayo (or equal parts Tofutti vegan Sour 'Cream' and vegan mayo - more if you want it more creamy) 
  • dash Tabasco if desired, not to make it spicy, just to bump up the flavor 
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley


Mix ingredients well.
Chill several hours.
Garnish with more parsley if you want.
Enjoy!
That's it!

 *I prefer my pecans toasted in this recipe, but it's hard to toast them without burning, so do so at your own risk.

3 comments:

Bianca said...

Oh wow! I love dips like this! What do you like to dip in it? I'm pinning this recipe for my next party.

koshoonna said...

i am currently feasting on this, it is soo good!! i woke up yesterday am and read this post and knew i had to make it. even my non veg coworkers love it!!

we are eating it on rolls (mine is an onion roll) with organic tomatoes from the garden and organic baby kale. Delicious!!

Nancy Rose Eisman said...

This dip looks amazing - creamy + crunchy, smooth + chunky, and full of savory favorites. Yes, the usual dipping suspects will be great, but I think I'll just use a spoon!