I wasn't feeling particularly inspired today, but after a quick look in my fridge, I discovered several veggies I needed to use up; zucchini, onions and kale, mostly. So I pulled out one of my favorite (and SO easy) vegetable soup recipes, added garlic bread and came up with supper.
No, it's not exactly "soup" weather but my kids liked it and there were no leftovers... (Usually I use Field Roast sausage which is local, AND one of our all time favorites, but today I had some leftover homemade seitan sausage - use whatever you have!)
Kale-"Sausage"- Bean Soup
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 - 3 links vegetarian sausage, homemade or your favorite commercial brand, (like Field Roast Italian,) cut into (1/2-inch) slices
- 1 - 2 zucchini, quartered and cut into slices (about 2 cups?)
- 3 garlic cloves, (you know I used more!) peeled and crushed
- 4 cups or more!! chopped trimmed kale (I happen to have Lacinato or Black Italian kale, but use whatever you have)
- 3 - 4 cups vegetable broth
- splash of white wine (optional but I add it to everything)
- 1 (16-ounce) cans or 2 cups coooked cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained (Yes, I know, in my picture I used pinto beans, use what you have, anything works!)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, finely chopped (optional, but in my opinion, why would you leave them out?)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and veggie sausage 4 minutes or until sausage is browned. Add zucchini and garlic; cook 2 minutes. Add kale and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve immediately.
YES! It's that simple!