Saturday, May 12, 2012

Cheesy Artichoke Dip

Annnnd today we have another oooey-gooey ridiculously decadent dip that depends heavily on vegan "fake" cheeses and such.
(If you're not a fan of all that stuff, I'll post a green hemp-seed smoothie recipe someday soon, I promise.)


On the other hand, if you're missing (or craving) those restaurant-style baked cheesy, spinach artichoke dips of your non-vegan past, OR you just need something impressive for the next tailgate party, this JUST might do the trick.



Super-Gooey-Cheesy Artichoke Dip 


  • Dip 8 oz. package Tofutti vegan Cream Cheese (it's best to soften this in the microwave or leave it out of the 'fridge for a couple hours) 
  • 1/4 cup vegan sour cream
  • 1/4 cup vegan mayo (I prefer Earth Balance 'Mindful Mayo' as it holds up better when heated)
  • 2 cans or jars or 1 bag frozen/defrosted un-marinated artichoke hearts
  • OPTIONAL, if you want some green: About 1 cup of finely chopped, cooked greens (spinach, chard, even well-cooked kale) 
  • 3 - 4 green onions, chopped 
  • Garlic salt to taste 
  • Chili powder – be generous! The cream cheese and sour cream will act to “cool” the dip, so you can sprinkle away with the chili! 
  • A handful of your favorite vegan "melty" cheese 

 Mix all the above ingredients in a baking dish.

Sprinkle with a bit more vegan cheese on top, bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, then broil until the cheese on top is browned and crusty on the edges.

Serve with crusty bread, crackers or veggies if you'd prefer...

2 comments:

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. said...

Wow. I saw something similar in the Vegan Slow Cooker book and thought the hubby would love it, but haven't made it yet. I would LOVE it too, but I try to keep myself away from foods that I can NOT stop eating. And this sounds like one of them. Major Old School Comfort Food in a BIG way. Love it.

Lizzie Bordello said...

I have tried many different variations of this over the years, trying to recreate one I used to get at a restaurant many moons ago...this one is going on my list to try soon!!!