Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Tempeh-Bacon Tomato Rice with Kale

I recently tried a new product (new to me!) that I just LOVED. Marinated tempeh strips from the folks at Turtle Island. Have you seen these yet? SOOO good!! I don't buy a lot of packaged products, but couldn't resist some great coupons and a sale!!
Anyway, I used them in sandwiches, entrees and stir-fries at first; and then stumbled upon our new favorite, this rice-and-kale dish that I randomly threw together one evening out of miscellaneous 'fridge ingredients.
Best of all, my kids INHALED it, and I've had requests to make it a couple times since. SO yummy!

By the way, this works with any veggie "bacon" product actually, (I've made it before) but the Maple Bacon Tempeh was the PERFECT match!

I also like that it gets some veggies into my kiddos and cooks up quickly into a great, one-pot supper.

 Tempeh-Bacon and Tomato Rice With Kale 


1 package Turtle Island Marinated Maple Bacon Tempeh Strips (OR 6-8 strips of your favorite veggie "bacon" product)
1 Tablespoon olive oil (or more)
1 bunch Lacinito or dinosaur/Tuscan/flat-leaf/black kale
1 small onion, diced
several mushrooms, if desired
1 14 oz. can chopped, stewed tomatoes
2 cups vegetable broth
1 C. plain old white rice (dry)
Salt and pepper

 Cut tempeh or fakin' bakon into small chunks and brown in a large cast-iron skillet on medium heat. (Tempeh doesn't really "brown", just swizzle it around until heated thru.)
Remove tough stems from kale and chop into 1-inch pieces. Slice mushrooms, if using.
Add more olive oil (if needed), onions and kale to the skillet, and cook until softened.
 Add tomatoes, broth and rice, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until rice is cooked through - checking every 5 minutes and stirring, add a bit of water if needed.
Remove lid when rice is cooked and let moisture cook out (if it's too soupy for you.)
Season with salt and pepper as desired.
Serves 2 - 3.

0 comments: