Sunday, October 09, 2011

Porcini Gravy; A Post In Which I Go All Typo-Nazi

My blog post today is a mini-rant, and not entirely off topic, but one I need to get off my chest.

I'm an English geek.

True story. (Which you will, most likely, NOT believe after reading a few of my punctuation and grammar-abusing blog posts).
I actually proofread term papers for a long list of college students to supplement my almost non-existent income. (It's much harder to proofread your own stuff, and besides, no-one's paying me to do it.)

Anyway.
My rant is this:
One of my favorite (and shall remain unnamed) vegetarian restaurants advertises their weekend special, EVERY WEEKEND as "Biscuits and Porcine Gravy".

You see the problem here, right?

The definition of "Porcine" is "related to, containing, or having to do with pigs or swine".

That would make it "PIG GRAVY" which, I know for a fact, they do not serve at this lovely little cafe.

Yes, you're all jumping to their defense and saying "Calm down! It was just a typo. They meant 'Porcini'. It's mushroom gravy. Porcini mushroom gravy."

And I'm sure you're right.

My problem lies in the message.
They advertise their special on Twitter, often on Facebook, have an A-frame signboard in front of the Cafe, and a card posted at the counter with weekend specials.
All advertising "Porcine Gravy" .

Hopefully the rest of the world also realizes it's a typo (or wretched iPhone autocorrect) and knows they're selling mushroom gravy.
But maybe not?
I worry. My inner spelling geek won't let it rest.

So, I pointed it out to them, kindly, trying to be funny.
NOT trying to make a big deal.
"I think it's "porcinI" gravy, not "porcinE"..".
To no avail.
Several times:
"Haha, love the play on words, funny joke, but guys - you're not selling PIG gravy..."
No one got it.
The blunt approach:
"Is this a typo? Is it supposed to say PORCINE?"
Perplexed look.

But today, finally, I went back to my fave little cafe, with my friend and fellow blogger Bethany (Of the "Spotted Devil Cat" blog).

I had complained to her previously about my obsession with this particular typo. We went to the counter to place our order and Bethany simply looks at the ad and says "I think you want that to say PORCINI, not PORCINE."

The lovely little counter-girl looks at the sign and says "Oh my gosh, you're right! It should be spelled P-O-R-C-H-I-N-E, right?"

"No" Bethany persists. "It's P-O-R-C-I-N-I. Like the mushroom. Not P-O-R-C-I-N-E, because, you know, that means pig!"
Bethany is so GOOD at this. I am impressed.

We took our coffees and sat down.
Five minutes later, I look up, and wonder of wonders, the sign at the counter has been changed. Their weekend special is now "Biscuits and Porcini Gravy".
"I knew it bugged you," Bethany said. Hahaha, oh how right she was.

(And can I just add, I have had their Porcini Gravy, and it is quite good. No pigs involved.)

The sign has been changed, The typo corrected. Disaster averted. I can go to bed happy tonight.
But to all restaurants out there: Please double-check your ads, menu and signs for typos. Unless you WANT to serve "Pig Gravy" and some people do.

Tomorrow maybe I'll figure out how to make my OWN PORCINI GRAVY!

4 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

amusing story - I get geeky about spelling too because I spend lots of time at work picking up others' typos but not my own (including the title of a recent book colleagues were doing - they loved me for that) - enjoy your porcini gravy - I love gravy but not the porcine type

Anonymous said...

It bugs me because it sounds like the gravy is made of porcini AND biscuits. I would have preferred to dine on porcini gravy and biscuits rather than the other way around. Sounds like everything was blended in a Vitamix.

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

HAHAHA! True that I decided to tackle one issue at a time. They were very un-amused with my typo-correcting attempts.

Richa said...

thats a funny post!! :) i am loving your grazy theme .. so many choices!

Thanks for dropping by!
Richa @ Hobby And More Food Blog