No, seriously, this really is one of my favorites, and it's perfect when you want to be all fancy and grown-up and serve something "special" for dinner.
Anyway. I digress.
- 1 pound of fresh mushrooms, sliced (anything works, but a mix of oyster, cremini, shiitake, etc. will give a richer flavor)
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/2 a medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce, or 1 tsp. Marmite stirred into 1 Tbsp. hot water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- OPTIONAL: 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- OPTIONAL: 2 Tablespoons fine chopped fresh parsley
Melt margarine in cast iron skillet.
Once the mushrooms are starting to brown, add wine and vinegar and boil down until liquid is thick and syrupy.