Saturday, October 15, 2011

Mushroom and Miso Gravy

Wow. VEGAN MONTH OF GRAVY BLOGGING, day 15, half over already! So much to share, so little time!


Today's recipe, Mushroom-and-Miso gravy, happens to be one of my favorite gravies to go over brown rice. (ALL gravy is my favorite for
something, in case you haven't figured that out by now...)
Not sure when I decided that this particular gravy and rice combo was the way it "should" be, but I've made it as a fast, easy supper for years (with the help of a rice-cooker); simple, warm, filling comfort food with a slightly "Asian" twist. Sometimes I get all crazy and add tofu cubes, stir-fried veggies and turn it into an Asian-stir-fry-gravy mess. That's good too!!

They say that boiling miso destroys the beneficial properties, so I always add it at the end. It's good stuff, give it a try!!

Mushroom and Miso Gravy

1 cup vegetable broth, (I actually use a "beef" style vegan broth here, I like the stronger taste and rich brown color in this gravy, you can use 1 cup water if you prefer it milder and less salty)
2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms (I like shiitake or morels here if I can get them, but regular button mushrooms work well too)
1 -2 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 Tablespoons white miso (or any variety)
fresh ground pepper

Combine broth, mushrooms, ginger and oil in a small saucepan. Bring to rapid simmer, then cover and simmer gently for 5 to 7 minutes.
In a small container, combine cornstarch with just enough water to dissolve. Whisk it into the saucepan, bring to a boil, and cook just until the gravy thickens.
Remove from heat.
Combine miso with 1/4 cup warm water in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Stir into the gravy.
Season with pepper to taste.

3 comments:

omgoshimvegan said...

I'm going to try this soon. It looks out of this world good.

Anonymous said...

OMG--that looks fabulous! I have to make some asap :-)

Courtney

Celeste said...

Mmmm, that looks so darn good! Goona have to remember this one come Thanksgiving!

You won the contest on my blog, can you please contact me about it? Thanks!

Growingupveg.blogspot.com

growingupveg@gmail.com