Monday, October 24, 2011

Fun Things to Do With Gravy: Lentil Tamales

One of the foods we love most in the Tofu Mom household is TAMALES. I realize I've posted a dozen different recipes, but it's because we make them so often and are always finding new combinations we LOVE!

My kids will take them cold in their lunchbox or I serve them for dinner, usually with some sort of sauce (yes, sauces are like gravy) to top them.

Here's my latest and greatest tamale filling, made with the Green Lentils from the amazing Timeless Foods (Have you checked them out? Seriously so much better than your average bulk-bin variety lentils!) AND a recipe for the Cheezy Chipotle Sauce that we often top them with. A traditional sauce for tamales would be some New Mexico Green Chile Sauce or even the Mole from yesterday, but the smoky chipotle nicely compliments the earthy flavor of the lentils, and it's what my kids prefer. Enjoy.

Lentil Tamales 
Filling


  • 1 cup cooked, Green Lentils (or any variety you prefer)
  • 1/2 cup chopped green olives
  • 1 clove minced or pressed garlic
  • 1/2 tsp EACH: cumin, salt, oregano, onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp or to taste hot sauce
  • 1/2 cup vegan cheese OR mashed potato (to make tamale filling hold together and easier assembly)

  • --- Mix lentils with chopped olives, garlic, spices and vegan cheese or mashed potato while lentils are still hot. Mash up a bit to make filling stick together (but don't entirely mash lentils). 

    FOR TAMALE DOUGH AND FILLING INSTRUCTIONS, SEE MY TAMALE RECIPES HERE: AND/OR HERE: I won't overwhelm you with a giant page of tamale-assembling instructions today.

    When tamales are done, unwrap and serve with sauce of your choice (or serve them wrapped, with sauce on the side).
    ---------------------------

    Cheezy Chipotle Sauce
    • 1/4 cup raw cashews, (soaked while assembling tamales if you think that far ahead, otherwise soak in very hot water for 5 min or so) 
    • 1 cup water
    • 1/2 cup unsweetened plant milk 
    • 1 whole chipotle chile in adobo sauce, or to taste (the kind in a can, or 1/4 cup salsa if you prefer milder)
    • 2 tablespoons cornstarch 
    • 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes 
    • 1 tablespoon lemon juice 
    • 1/2-1 teaspoon salt 
    • Directions:
       Rinse cashews with hot water while combining the remaining ingredients in food processor. When well blended, add drained cashews and process on high for 1-2 minutes until very smooth. Cook in a sauce pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. (You can stir in some Daiya pepperjack here if you want, but it isn't necessary).
      Serve over tamales. (Or baked potatoes, chips for nachos, etc...)

    7 comments:

    Kate said...

    This looks so good! Your gravy posts and this are making me think I ought to cook something for myself.

    Anonymous said...

    Mmmm - I'm making this cheesy chipotle sauce tonight to go with bean burritos. Thanks for the recipe!

    Sarah E. Hoffman said...

    These look so amazing! Tamales are def on my to-do list

    vegan.in.brighton said...

    Those look delicious, I can't wait to try to make tamales on Friday!

    Bianca said...

    Ooooh, yum! It's like a cashew cheese and a nooch sauce, all in one! Plus CHIPOTLES!!!

    Anonymous said...

    Hello lovely! I finally found your blog! I'm so dense. We've been chatting away on twitter, about vegan mofo no less, and it never occurred to me to look for your blog! So here I am! You mean I could be eating more than sprouts? Dang! I'll go mow the lawn & eat some grass. ;)

    I added you to my links too. Hope that was ok? If not, let me know. BTW, I LOVE cashews! LOVE! xox

    Dawn said...

    Ha, just mentioned tamales and here you are, posting an epic recipe for them! These look brilliant, Marti! And that Cheezy Chipotle Sauce is now on my to-do list. Seems like it has infinite possibilities!