Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Cashew Gravy

We've done bean gravy, hummus gravy, brown gravy, white gravy: every vegan NEEDS a good Cashew Gravy recipe in their collection too, right? I use this one a LOT because it's quick, doesn't require much thought or effort, and I always have the ingredients on hand. It's super easy (OK, I say that all the time, but this one really IS super easy, and seriously, I DO NOT cook stuff that's difficult very often.)

My Mom first pointed me to this recipe years ago, it's originally from "Fast Cooking in a Slow Cooker" with a few (well, actually quite a few) of my own modifications. (Also posted last year during MoFo by fellow blogger Megan (of the FABULOUS "Megatarian" blog)

Interestingly, one of my modifications is the same as Megan's; you do NOT need to do this in a slow-cooker.
I used to make it that way, but when my original slow-cooker broke, I tried it on the stove and discovered it's JUST as good and a lot faster! (It even works in the microwave, but I haven't done that in ages, so can't remember exactly how!!)
Enjoy any way you would cream gravy OR brown gravy. It's YUMMY stuff!!

Creamy Cashew Gravy
2 1/2 cups very hot water
(or sometimes I use part water, part plant milk, just depends on how decadent I want to be, the water needs to be as hot as your tap water gets, but not boiling, it helps the cashews blend smoother)
1/3 cup raw cashews
(It's ideal if you soak these for an hour or overnight and then drain; but I often forget, or don't plan ahead, and it still turns out fine)
1/4 cup rolled oats
(quick or slow cooking but NOT the "steel-cut" ones)
3 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce or 1 Tbsp. Marmite
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
(This is NOT the same as bread-making yeast or brewer's yeast. Find it at your health-food store, bulk aisle or online. Look it up and read about it if you're not familiar with it, I don't want to take the time and space here to do a whole tutorial on "nooch" - as many of us fondly call it.)
1 1/2 tsp. onion powder

1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 pinch powdered sage
1/8 tsp. salt

1. Put all the ingredients in the blender or food processor, EXCEPT just add 1 1/4 cups of the water. Blend until smooth - this could take several minutes. The longer you blend, the smoother the gravy. Blend, blend, blend.
Pour into a pan or medium cast-iron skillet.

2. Put the rest of the water in the blender. Blend again to make sure you got all the cashew mixture. Add this to the pan.

3. Turn on heat to medium, bring to a gentle simmer, whisking often (but not constantly as you need to with other gravies). Cook for about 5 - 7 minutes until thickened. If it gets too thick, add a little water or plant milk. (I usually season with a little salt and a lot of pepper, but that's just me).

That's it!! SOOO easy!!!

7 comments:

Jen said...

Cashew gravy? GTFO. This is on my Txgiving menu now, thanks!

ps- a move to PDX might be in the future. How far away are you from there?

VeganLinda said...

You are the gravy queen! I love how I can find any gravy type sauce on your blog.

Kate said...

Another wonderful gravy recipe! Your blog is becoming my go-to primer for making sauces.

JL Goes Vegan said...

Another yummy, yummy recipe!

omgoshimvegan said...

Yum! Looks like another great gravy recipe.

Isobelle said...

I think that this gravy idea for MoFo is so great! It must be challenging though! This recipe sounds lovely, I will have to give this a go some time.

Anonymous said...

I especially like that this recipe gives me the opportunity to get the rest of the blender bits out and use them. Sort of a swish and spit for a blender ;-]