Saturday, August 20, 2011

Vegan Alfredo Sauce (Two Ways, or raw even!)


Time for a (*gasp*) repeat.

Yes. It's true.
I've posted both of these lovely Vegan Alfredo recipes several times - but they seem to get buried deep in the archives of my blog and for whatever reason, even I forget where they are.

Alfredo pasta is an oft requested favorite with my friends and family (vegan and not). Since I KNOW the recipes are a reliable hit and they're both super-easy to throw together, these were my fall-back this summer if (when) called upon to "bring something" to whatever impromptu potluck or gathering we might be involved in.

The first version is my personal favorite, both for ease in preparation and the delicious tangy, nutty. garlic taste; but cashews are on the spendy side of my budget, so I don't use them EVERY time I'm craving creamy pasta.
Version 2 is a smoother, creamier, milder sauce, not as garlicky but still lovely, rich, sauce-y comfort-food...

With that introduction, "VEGAN ALFREDO, TWO WAYS", here you go:

OK,
OPTION #1:
Cashew Garlic Alfredo Sauce (with option for RAW Alfredo):
  • 1/2 cup raw cashews (not roasted)
  • 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice (I don't measure, just a good squeeze)
  • 1 1/2 cups boiling water (or not boiling, if you want an RAW sauce, the texture will be less creamy, but still good!!)
  • 1 clove garlic (or more to taste)
  • 1 Tbsp. extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 2 Tb. nutritional yeast (optional)

Pulverize raw cashews in the food processor until very finely ground, but NOT until they start to turn into cashew butter.
Carefully add boiling water.
(*The BEST way to do this, is to make the sauce while your pasta is cooking and scoop out 1 1/2 cups of lightly salted pasta-cooking water and use it - the starch from the pasta-cooking water thickens the sauce PERFECTLY!)
Add water to cashews and process until smooth... this will take several minutes.
Add nutritional yeast (optional - my kids prefer it without), garlic clove, olive oil and squeeze of lemon juice.
Process again until smooth, another couple minutes, it'll start to thicken a bit too!
Taste and add salt, pepper or whatever you think it needs.
Makes a really nice creamy sauce if you get the cashews ground finely.
Serve over cooked pasta, potatoes, meatballs, or whatever it is raw foodie people put pasta sauce on!!

OPTION TWO:
Vegan "Alfredo" Cream Sauce
  • 1/2 c Earth Balance or other vegan margarine
  • 2 cups soymilk/almond milk/ricemilk (unsweetened!!! NOT just "plain" as that is usually sweetened...)
  • 1 package Mori-Nu Silken Tofu (the kind in the shelf-stable tetra packs)
  • 1-2 tbsp lemon juice or white wine
  • 2 tbsp onion powder
  • 1 crushed garlic clove
  • 1-2 tsp salt
  • 1-2 tsp black pepper (to taste)
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • 3 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in cold water

Blend tofu and soymilk in food processor or blender until creamy. Melt margarine, add other ingredients except cornstarch, in saucepan.. Heat over med low heat until hot, stirring often. whisk in cornstarch mixture and heat until just bubbling and sauce thickens. Heat until thick but don't let it boil.

--------------------
--------------------

Add chopped fresh parsley, basil, chives or other herbs as you like.
Also, super good with some sauteed veggies, mushrooms, chopped Kalamata olives or your fave vegetarian protein. Pour over pasta, rice or potatoes and ENJOY!!


2 comments:

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. said...

I adore these types of sauces. I remember when I was in college and just vegetarian the amount of FAT and cholesterol that I would put in the Alfredo. Now it's cashews all the way. LOVE that I made the switch to vegan. Now I don't really worry about that stuff!

Lori said...

Thank you for reposting these recipes. I'll definitely be making the top one soon. I haven't had an alfredo sauce in ages.