Turns out Seattle was pretty stoked for the chili cook-off too!! By the day of the event, Sunday, May 15th, the great Seattle Vegan Chili Cook-Off was completely sold out. They sold over 200+ tickets and had to turn 40 people away at the door. A day before the event Anika had so many people begging for tickets, she couldn’t keep up with the emails and tweets. That’s not to mention all the people who discovered the sold out news on the web site and wept silently while ticket holders enjoyed their chili.
So, other than it being an amazing, vegan event, why am I telling you about it?
Well dear readers, I decided, (quite foolishly I thought for a while) to ENTER the Great Vegan Chili Cook-Off.
Why? Well. Many reasons, the main ones being:
5.) I don't like talking to people I don't know. Yes, true story.
I really was scared to DEATH, but in the end, enjoyed myself, and met so many great people!
Last but not least; People have asked for my recipe, and while most of you know chili cook-off competitors don't traditionally share their winning secrets, I don't mind sharing the basics, (without a few of my personal "tweaks"). Yes, finally, two weeks later, HERE YOU GO!!
- 2 cans small white (Great Northern?) beans
- 2 cans white kidney (cannellini) beans
(OR cook your own beans from dry, this is what I did, but canned is easier for some people)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen white corn kernels
- 4 cups good vegetarian chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 1 13 oz. container BUENO® Autumn Roast Frozen Hatch New Mexico Green Chiles
(OR equivalent amount fresh roasted, peeled and chopped poblano peppers OR canned, chopped green chiles)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. dried, crushed oregano
- 2 7-oz. packages Gardein Chick'n Strips
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped small
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ white onion, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 2 jalapeño peppers, minced finely
- 1 habanero pepper, minced VERY fine (ONLY if you want more heat!!)
Add bay leaf and oregano and bring to simmer. Let simmer while preparing Gardein "Chick'n".
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, rinsed well
- 3 jalapeños as needed (taste, you want SOME "heat")
- juice from three limes
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
Drizzle/dollop a couple teaspoons on each bowl of Green-and-White Chili.