Saturday, November 06, 2010

Vegan Hollandaise (It's LIKE Gravy, Right?)

In keeping with my "30 DAYS OF VEGAN GRAVY" quest for Vegan Month of Food Blogging, I'm re-posting one of my most-requested recipes: Vegan Hollandaise!!

Hollandaise is food of the gods, I'm sure, and it's almost "gravy"-like, I figure, right?

I have been on a quest for the perfect vegan Hollandaise for several years now and I think this is close to perfect, but now, I have to admit I don't remember what "real" Hollandaise tastes like.

I can assure you it is buttery-lemony-eggy delicious though, (OK, tooting my own horn, sorry) but if you're missing Hollandaise, give this a try.

First of all, though, ya gotta make my "Cashew Alfredo Cream Sauce" which is SORT-OF a "gravy" too, right? (Yes, I tend to hate multi-step recipes that require several different sub-recipes before you get to the main point, but you wanted vegan Hollandaise, that's no easy task!!)

This is a great way to use up leftovers of the "Alfredo" sauce. What, you never have leftovers? Well, neither do I, but I was trying to make you feel better about having to make TWO entire recipes. OK, so quit whining and make the Alfredo Sauce already (with maybe less garlic if you want though, it doesn't matter, really).

HOLLANDAISE SAUCE

3/4 cup Cashew Cream Alfredo Sauce
1/4 cup soymilk (optional)
3 T. Earth Balance or Soy Garden Natural Buttery Spread, melted and kept very warm
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp India Black Salt (kala namak or sanchal)*
1/2 tsp. yellow mustard (like French's or any generic stuff)
pinch of white pepper or a dash of hot pepper sauce
tiny pinch of turmeric (less than a 1/16th of a tsp—more makes a phony-looking color)

Heat the Alfredo sauce until simmering (add some soymilk if it's horribly thick) —pour into the blender container along with the Black Salt, pepper or hot sauce, and add the lemon juice and mustard.

Blend well, adding the melted Earth Balance slowly through the hole in the lid while the machine is running. Blend until the mixture is completely mixed.

Taste and adjust seasonings (usually more lemon or mustard, though if it's too strong, add some more soymilk). Pour into saucepan on stove and stir with wire whisk until heated thru.

*This salt has a slightly sulphuric or "eggy" taste. It is an important ingredient for the traditional flavor in the sauce. Most Indian/Asian markets sell it, or you can get it online. It's a staple in our scrambled tofu as well! Good stuff!

If it DOESN'T THICKEN satisfactorily for you, add 2 teaspoons cornstarch to a little soymilk and mix in to sauce, stir with wire whisk over heat until it thickens.

=====================

For the above, I lightly steamed some spinach, put it on toasted English Muffins with some of my favorite tofu scramble (any recipe you like). Cover with Hollandaise and serve.

5 comments:

celyn said...

This sounds FANtastic. I will definitely be making it, and will report back!

deucenickeltay said...

ANY time I a see a vegan benedict on a menu, I order it. Thanks for the recipe, it looks amazing!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Oooh that looks SO good, I'll definitely be trying out your recipe.

Anonymous said...

That looks like a mighty fine hollandaise.

Jenny said...

I don't think I've ever had hollandaise sauce. This looks yummy. You're doing a great job with your gravy recipes (I really like the sound of the bean gravy!); keep up the good work!