Sunday, November 14, 2010

Roasted Garlic Gravy


Throughout my blogging for "Vegan Month of Gravy" I'm going to post a few tried-and-true gravy recipes from some of my favorite vegan cookbook authors. All of these recipes are being posted with permission from the authors, not to worry. And all of them are recipes I refer to over and over, in well-worn cookbooks I use often, by authors I respect and admire for their creativity and passion for vegan cooking.

That said, the first cookbook recipe I'm choosing to share is my "reliable old friend" of vegan gravy recipes - one I learned to make before I was even vegan! It's by Jo Stepaniak, from her wonderful cookbook "Vegan Vittles".

This makes a lovely, and VERY tasty Roasted Garlic Gravy. One I've served at many a vegan dinner to rave reviews. You can't go wrong with roasted garlic, right? And I am always asked for the recipe, from meat-eating types and vegans alike - definitely worth trying! (As a side-note, not trying to sound like an advertisement, but the entire cookbook is good - Jo always has really clear, detailed instructions. Check it out if you're looking to add to your collection!) I tend to fiddle with recipes, even already-perfect ones like this, so I've added my ideas in parentheses, feel free to ignore me if you like.

Roasted Garlic Gravy

Shared with permission from the author - Jo Stepaniak


1 large head of garlic
6 Tbs. whole wheat pastry flour

2 Tbs. olive oil
2 cups water or vegan vegetable broth (I use vegetable broth and add 1/4 cup white wine here)
2 Tbs. soy sauce (I use a little less if the broth is fairly salty)

1 tsp. each: crumbled dried thyme leaves, crumbled dried marjor
am leaves (I add sage too).

First, roast the garlic: To roast the garlic, peel off as much papery skin as will come off easily while keeping the head intact. Brush or rub the garlic liberally with olive oil. Place the garlic in a small, shallow baking dish in the toaster (or regular) oven, roast it at 375 until the outside is brown and the innermost cloves are soft, about 20 to 30 minutes. (it usually takes a good bit longer for me, don't know what I'm doing wrong there).

Allow the garlic to cool. Then slice off the top the whole head (I find a serrated knife works best here) and squeeze the roasted cloves from the skin into a small bowl. Mash the garlic with a fork, set it aside.
(I like it mashed really smooth - again, just me)

Place the flour in a dry 2 quart saucepan, roast it over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it is fragrant but not browned, just a minute or two.
Stir in the olive oil and roasted garlic, cook 5 minutes on low heat, stirring often.

Briskly stir or whisk in the water or broth, soy sauce and herbs. Simmer the gravy for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve hot.

7 comments:

omgoshimvegan said...

looks perfect for mashed potatoes

Anonymous said...

You had me at "roasted garlic" :-) I actually own Vegan Vittles (and I agree--it is a great cookbook), and I am wondering HOW I missed this recipe?! It is right up my ally...I am going to have to change the fact that I have not made this yet. Thank you for pointing it out!

And, by the way, you are not alone...no head of garlic I have roasted has EVER been done in 20-30 minutes. Whatever you are doing wrong, I am doing it too apparently...

Courtney

vegan.in.brighton said...

Yum, I only just realised how awesome roasted garlic is - I'll definitely be trying this recipe.

Ty (aka Meccabell) said...

That looks "bread-soppin'" good.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that you are doing 30 days of gravy!!! What an awesome idea! I'm only sorry that it took me this long to see it!

Fanny said...

Um.. HELLO! This is what's for dinner tonight.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to make this for Thanksgiving this year - how much gravy does it yield?