Monday, November 08, 2010

Mushroom and Miso Gravy


Wow. VEGAN MONTH OF GRAVY BLOGGING, day 8, already! So much to share, so little time!
Today's recipe, Mushroom-and-Miso gravy, happens to be one of my favorite gravies to go over brown rice. (ALL gravy is my favorite for something, in case you haven't figured that out by now...)
Not sure when I decided that this particular gravy and rice was the way it "should" be, but I've made this combination as a fast, easy supper for years (with the help of a rice-cooker); simple, warm, filling comfort food with a slightly "Asian" twist.

They say that boiling miso destroys the beneficial properties, so I always add it at the end. It's good stuff, give it a try!!

Mushroom and Miso Gravy

1 cup vegetable broth (or 1 cup water if you prefer it milder and less salty)
2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms (I like shiitake or morels here if I can get them, but regular button mushrooms work well too)
1 -2 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 Tablespoons white miso (or any variety)
fresh ground pepper

Combine broth, mushrooms, ginger and oil in a small saucepan. Bring to rapid simmer, then cover and simmer gently for 5 to 7 minutes.
In a small container, combine cornstarch with just enough water to dissolve. Whisk it into the saucepan, bring to a boil, and cook just until the gravy thickens.
Remove from heat.
Combine miso with 1/4 cup warm water in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Stir into the gravy.
Season with pepper to taste.

9 comments:

omgoshimvegan said...

This looks fantastic!!! Thanks for sharing.

vegan.in.brighton said...

That looks SO good, I'll definitely be trying to make this.

Tami said...

I love your mofo theme. I'll never look at gravy again without thinking of you!

Ms Alex said...

Added to the list of things to try, I reckon this will go really well with smoked tofu and some interesting mixed rices...

panda with cookie said...

I don't know that I've ever seen such photogenic gravy. All those mushrooms!

Catherine Weber said...

mmmm . . . love mushroom gravy.

Anonymous said...

I am totally making this ASAP! Miso and mushrooms?!? Yum!

Courtney

Anonymous said...

I have to try this, it sounds amazing!

The Pondering Publican said...

I found your blog as I was googling for a recipe for a gravy to accompany the vegan veggie loaf I was making. This gravy is yummy...satisfying & "meaty" without the meat! I will definitely make it again. Thanks,
Steph