Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Julie Hasson's Cranberry Merlot Sauce


Today's "gravy" recipe is not exactly gravy, at least not in the traditional sense. But it is a "sauce" - and sauces are synonymous with "gravy" in some other languages, right?
Besides, I think it deserves mention during my "Month of Vegan Gravy" (for Vegan MoFo). Ever since I discovered this wonderful stuff, I've included it in Holiday meals or Sunday Dinners where I would also have gravy. And everyone I serve it to pours it just as liberally over their nut-loaves, veggie-turkey, chick-pea cutlets and (*gulp*) I've even had some of my relatives use it with the dead-bird kind of turkey...
Cranberry Sauce seems to be a standard item at most Thanksgiving tables, but this takes plain old jelly-in-a-can cranberries up SEVERAL notches. It's super easy to throw together at the last minute; looks, smells and tastes impressive and will win you raves reviews from everyone, I promise! Again, the alcohol cooks out, though I did use a grape juice/pomegranate juice blend instead once and it was also very good.

This recipe is graciously shared by one of my favorite local cooks, Julie Hasson. She's the author of 5 cookbooks, does the awesome vegan online cooking show "Everyday Dish" (which you should watch every episode of over Thanksgiving break, if you haven't already - go, do it now!).
She and her hubby own the completely delicious food cart "Native Bowl" in Portland. And best of all, she's also a great resource; graciously (and patiently) answering every question I tend to e-mail her about what to do and where to eat vegan when I'm IN Portland!!

If you'd like to watch the "Everyday Dish" episode for this cranberry sauce, go here:

Cranberry Merlot Sauce

Posted with permission from the author, Julie Hasson

Not only are cranberries delicious, but they’re also a great source of antioxidants. Although you may be tempted to cut down on the sugar in this recipe, it’s a pretty tart sauce.
Makes 2 1/4 cups

1 cup red wine (port wine works great too) [I've used grape-pomegranate juice here with good results, though a Washington State Woodward Canyon Merlot would be my fave ~MH]
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar (or a touch more to taste)
1 12-oz package fresh or frozen cranberries
1/4 cup orange juice or the zest and juice of 1 orange
Zest and juice of 1 lemon

In a medium saucepan combine all of the ingredients and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Reduce heat slightly and simmer 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Cool and serve.


Copyright © 2008 Julie Hasson


Seriously, that's all there is to it! Easier than gravy even! Try it, it'll make a great addition to your table on Thursday!

2 comments:

Dave in MPLS said...

I'm anxiously awaiting Hasson's Vegan Diner, out next year. Should be some good comfort food type things in there!

Nat said...

i LOVE this sauce!! saw it and got the ingredients for thanksgiving. we were out of orange juice so i used fresh lime juice and it was wonderful!! ate it with field roast's hazelnut cranberry roast and again with seitan the next day. so delicious, i will be making this again!!