Thursday, November 04, 2010

Classic Cashew Gravy

OK, this is my THIRD favorite gravy in my "Month of Vegan Gravy" and it may become your MOST favorite, you will NOT believe how easy it is - Every vegan NEEDS a good Cashew Gravy recipe in their collection, right?
BUT: I almost didn't post this, because friend and fellow-MoFo-blogger Megan (of the FABULOUS "Megatarian" blog) just posted the same recipe yesterday!

However; no re-write needed, she's graciously given me permission to "spread the cashew love" and go ahead. So just in case you haven't already gotten the recipe from her, you now have (at least) two sources for this easy, creamy, cashew loveliness! (Go check out her post, she has a MUCH better picture, and she's blogging all things Thanksgiving this month, so you'll get some great ideas for stuffs to put gravy ON!!)

My Mom first pointed me to this recipe, it's originally from "Fast Cooking in a Slow Cooker" with a few of my own modifications.

Interestingly, one of my modifications is the same as Megan's; you do NOT need to do this in a slow-cooker. I used to make it that way, but when my slow-cooker broke, I tried it on the stove and discovered it's JUST as good and a LOT faster! (It even works in the microwave, but I haven't done that in ages, so can't remember exactly how!!)
Enjoy any way you would cream gravy OR brown gravy. It's YUMMY stuff!!

Creamy Cashew Gravy
2 1/2 cups very hot water
(or sometimes I use part water, part plant milk, just depends on how decadent I want to be, the water needs to be as hot as your tap water gets, but not boiling, it helps the cashews blend smoother)
1/3 cup raw cashews
(you CAN soak these for an hour or overnight and then drain if you plan ahead, but I never do and it still turns out fine)
1/4 cup rolled oats
(quick or slow cooking but NOT the "steel-cut" ones)
3 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce or 1 Tbsp. Marmite
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
(This is NOT the same as bread-making yeast or brewer's yeast. Find it at your health-food store, bulk aisle or online. Look it up and read about it if you're not familiar with it, I don't want to take the time and space here to do a whole tutorial on "nooch" - as many of us fondly call it.)
1 1/2 tsp. onion powder 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 pinch powdered sage 1/8 tsp. salt

1. Put all the ingredients in the blender or food processor, EXCEPT just add 1 1/4 cups of the water. Blend until smooth - this could take several minutes. Pour into a pan or medium cast-iron skillet.

2. Put the rest of the water in the blender. Blend again to make sure you got all the cashew mixture. Add this to the pan.

3. Turn on heat to medium, bring to a gentle simmer, whisking often (but not constantly as you need to with other gravies). Cook for about 5 - 7 minutes until thickened. If it gets too thick, add a little water or plant milk. (I usually season with a little salt and a lot of pepper, but that's just me).

That's it!! SOOO easy!!!

5 comments:

Desdemona said...

Okay, I just need to tell you that having GRAVY as your MoFo theme is probably the most genius idea ever. Speaking as a person to whom a hunk of bread and a vat of gravy sounds like a perfectly reasonable dinner (okay, so I'm a peasant; what of it?!, I say BRING ON THE GRAVY RECIPES!!!!

panda with cookie said...

How can you go wrong with nooch and marmite?

Krista said...

This looks yummy! Now if I could just find the gasket to my blender...

radioactivegan said...

That sounds pretty awesome! Is it sweet at all from the cashews? I've never had (or heard of) cashew gravy, but I'm pretty intrigued to give it a try!

olga spaceage said...

great recipe and great idea for vegan mofo! :)