Sunday, September 26, 2010

Simple Autumn Cabbage Soup


I was visiting my parents this weekend and they have the most lovely garden.
Sadly, most vegetables are 'over' for the season, but I still came home happily loaded down with cabbage, onions, potatoes and carrots.

Probably due to my German Grandma's cooking influence, I tend to LOVE cabbage in soup especially, and this invention of mine is VERY simple, fast, easy and perfect for fall.

Add some seitan/gluten "beef" chunks if you want it a bit more hearty, but it's good either way.

Simple Autumn Cabbage Soup

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped coarse
2 cups sliced sliced carrots
3 - 4 cubed white potatoes, I like the "waxy' white potatoes but any kind works, even half sweet potato and half white
2 cloves garlic, minced
10 cups liquid, I use mostly vegetable broth with about a cup of wine added
1 medium head cabbage, chopped coarsely
OPTIONAL: 2 cups seitan/gluten "beef chunks (like gardein or Morning Star Farms) browned in oil in a skillet
1/2 tsp. dill
few shakes Tabasco or other hot sauce
salt & pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley

DIRECTIONS

Heat the oil in a large stock pot, add carrots, onions and garlic and saute for about 10 minutes.
Add liquid, bring to a boil, add potatoes and cook till almost tender.
Add cabbage, dill and Tabasco. (add "beef" chunks here too, if using).
Bring the soup back to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in parsley and serve.

Also good garnished with (vegan) sour cream!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm...I am with you--I *love* cabbage in soup! I make it all the time, but next time I will have to give your version a try. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Courtney

Unknown said...

I have to admit I am not really a vegan though I enjoy following your blog. This soup does look very good. I'm constantly looking for new things to try.