Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Spring Asparagus Soup


Saturday marked the beginning of the local (like, right here in in the park) Farmer's Market, and I was first in line to grab some beautiful asparagus and a ton of wonderful and mysterious greens. So excited to see the great variety right here in our little town!

Of course I love fresh asparagus just steamed or roasted, but with such an abundance available right now, it's the green-veggie of choice in our kitchen for at least a few more weeks and I tend to get a little more creative.

This soup has been a family favorite for years now; I remember my oldest 'Sprout' (now 18!!) when she was very small and could barely manage soup with a spoon. She would crumble a ton of crackers into her serving and then happily eat the green "mush". Not as appetizing to the adults that way, maybe, but she LOVED it and always asked for "Green Mushy Soup" when she saw asparagus in the store.

I promise it's delicate flavor doesn't really NEED crackers or croƻtons but dress it up however you'd like.

Spring Asparagus Soup

  • 1 pound fresh asparagus, break where the stalks naturally break to avoid "stringy" bits
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 tablespoon margarine
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 pinch ground black pepper
  • 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 cup soy (or other) milk, UNsweetened, of course
  • 1/2 cup soy yogurt or soy sour 'cream'
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup vegan Parmesan (optional)

Rinse asparagus and break at their natural breaking point so you just get the most tender part (usually about 2/3 of the stalk). Chop into 1/2 inch pieces. Cook asparagus and onion in a saucepan with 1/2 cup vegetable broth.

Bring the broth to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until the vegetables are tender.
Reserve a few asparagus tips for garnish. Place remaining vegetable mixture in an electric blender and puree until smooth, or use a stick (immersion) blender.

Melt margarine in the pan that was used for simmering the asparagus and onions. Turn heat to low.
Stir with a wire whisk, (this is important) while sprinkling flour, salt, and pepper into the butter. Do not let the flour brown. Allow the mixture to cook only 2 minutes. Slowly (VERY slowly!) stir in remaining 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth and increase the heat. Continue stirring until the mixture comes to a boil.

Turn down heat. Stir the vegetable puree and milk into the saucepan and heat gently.
Whisk yogurt or sour cream into the mixture, followed by lemon juice. Stir until heated through, then ladle into bowls.
Garnish with reserved asparagus tips. Sprinkle with vegan cheese or garnish with some fresh herbs if desired.

4 comments:

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

This sounds lovely! I am loving all of the asparagus at the farmers market!

Sonia said...

Hi there! I have been reading your blog FOREVER..but don't think I've ever commented! I love your springy soup! I made a similar one with broccoli, asparagus, and peas a while back! http://masterofherromaine.blogspot.com/2010/04/beautiful-spring-soup.html
It came out really, really well! I can't wait to try yours, too!

Marja @ StuckInYourBeard said...

Asparagus is one of my favorite things----it's so beautiful that I've always been afraid to puree it up into soup! I think your beautiful pics and recipe are giving me the courage to try now! Looks delicious.

Bianca said...

That sounds wonderful! I wish we could get local asparagus around here! The farmers' markets here don't carry it. I guess maybe it doesn't grow down South. Anyway, I did have some grocery store asparagus for lunch though.