Sunday, April 25, 2010

Rhubarb Muffins


One more "SPRING" ingredient for you, RHUBARB!! (I guess it's also known as "pie-plant" to some? That was a new one for me, but it makes sense!)


I happen to work in a little town that calls itself the "Rhubarb Pie Capitol of the World".

I'm not sure how the town got the "Pie" title, but it is certainly surrounded by rhubarb fields that yield a beautiful harvest from now through early summer. Definitely been a major crop around these parts for quite some time and one that's anticipated by me with much excitement. I absolutely LOVE rhubarb!! The fact that it's local makes me even happier!

While I have a collection of pies, crisps, crunches and cobbler recipes devoted to rhubarb, this was my first attempt at making muffins and I think they turned out just about like I planned, sweet and spicy with little tangy bits of rhubarb. It's pretty basic. Feel free to play with the recipe as you wish!

Vegan Rhubarb Muffins

5 medium-thin stalks of rhubarb, diced finely
2 Tbsp. Turbinado, or white sugar

2 tbsp. ground flax seeds
3/4 cup almond (or other plant) milk

1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup Turbinado or white sugar

1 1/2 cups whole wheat (or half white/half wheat) flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. powdered ginger

1/2 cup softened vegan margarine (I use Nucoa)
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup sugar of your choice


Toss rhubarb with 2 Tbsp. sugar and let sit.
Preheat oven to 375 F, and lightly oil 8 muffin 'cups' in a standard-size muffin pan. (Or use muffin papers).

Make your "flax-egg": In food processor, blend flax seeds and milk. Blend well until flax seeds start to pulverise. Set aside.
Make cinnamon sugar: Mix the 1/3 cup sugar with 1 tsp. cinnamon. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl, mix flour, salt, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, ginger and baking powder.
In a second bowl, mix the 1/2 cup sugar, margarine, vanilla and vinegar.

Add "flax-egg" mixture to the sugar mixture.
Combine the two mixtures, to make a smooth batter. Stir in rhubarb just until mixed. It should be too thick to pour, yet thinner than "dough". (Add a bit more flour if needed).

Spoon the batter into prepared muffin pan, with equal proportions for each muffin, about 3/4 full.
Sprinkle top with 1/4 tsp. of the cinnamon-sugar.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, and remove from oven when the muffins are golden brown on top. Let cool in pan for 10 min. and then remove.
Enjoy.

9 comments:

Helen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Helen said...

It never fails to amaze me how all of foodblogsphere seemingly thinks in the same way - I have rhubarb sitting in my kitchen ready to make muffins tomorrow morning.

Dianne said...

What a great idea! Maybe it's because I don't live in the Rhubarb Pie Capital, but I never know what to do with rhubarb if I don't want to pie-ify it. The answer is muffins!

Bianca said...

Can you believe I've never cooked with rhubarb?! I've had vegan strawberry rhubarb pie that my friend David made, and it was delicious. I'll have to get started with this muffin recipe. I've been craving muffins lately.

Catherine Weber said...

I love rhubarb, too! I made a strawberry-rhubarb crumble this weekend . . . SO good! Your muffins sound fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I love rhubarb--it is such a spring ingredient :-) How cool is it that you are living in the Rhubarb Pie Capitol of the World, lol?!? That is too funny! I like how you went all rebel on them with the muffins :-)

I am planning on getting a ton of rhubarb this weekend at the farmers market and will give your recipe a try soon. Thank you for sharing it!

Courtney

Lizzie Bordello said...

Any thoughts on a way to incorporate some oats in these? Maybe replace some of the flour? Let me know! :)

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

It always amazes me how many people have never cooked/baked with rhubarb. I really had no idea it wasn't as common as, say, carrots, in the produce aisle. We use it several times a week during season. It DOES require a good deal of sweetener though.

@Lizzie, these are pretty dense muffins, but I think oats would be a good addition, maybe experiment a bit? 1/2 cub subbed for equal flour to start? Let me know.

Jen said...

So tasty! I made them this morning and have already eaten 3!