Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Valentine Peppermint Truffles


These are surprisingly similar to those famous "York Peppermint Patties", except they're entirely vegan. My kids and I love making them together because they're messy, sugar-y and covered with chocolate - what kid wouldn't like to make something like THAT!?


And if you're looking for a perfect use for last year's red, foil heart-shaped candy-box, try filling it with these babies.

Since it's close to Valentine's, I've been toying with making heart-shaped candy, but haven't actually done so. Yet. Stay tuned. These are SO easy, and really tend to impress the vegan-skeptics out there: another one of those "WHAT!?!?!? THIS is vegan?" type-recipes.

Peppermint Patties

  • 1/2 medium baked potato or one small
    (out of the peel of course, mashed up, no butter or salt or pepper added, you need about 2.5 Tablespoons of mashed-up baked potato)
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
    (more, if needed, and I usually do. You could use quite a bit depending on factors in your kitchen. Vegan powdered sugar is available at most Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and health food stores, though I admit I'm not one of those overly sugar-concerned vegans. I usually just try to avoid cane sugar which is more likely to be bone-char processed. Beet sugar is not bone-char-processed, and is what most store-brand sugar is actually derived from. Your call. )
  • 1 1/2 tsps peppermint extract
    (make sure this is real PEPPERMINT extract, not the nasty-tasting "mint-flavoring" or mint extract that is usually part spearmint and a bit on the bitter side)
  • 2 tbsp soymilk powder
    (if you can find it, it makes the finished product drier, smoother and easier to work with - but isn't absolutely essential)

Line a cookie sheet with foil.
Make sure your baked potato is mashed up very smooth, with no small lumps or anything.
Add all ingredients together and mix well until a stiff candy filling (fondant) forms. Add additional powdered sugar until it becomes mold-able like playdough. The sugar amount can vary a bit. When the fondant is holding shape, take about a tablespoon of the mixture at a time and form into balls. Place them on the cookie sheet and press them down into a patty shape. When all are formed, place in the freezer for a few minutes until firm.

Chocolate coating

2 cups chocolate chips, or finely chopped dark chocolate of your choice
2 tbsp. Earth Balance

Melt the chocolate with the margarine in a double boiler or a small pan balanced in a large pan of boiling water. Don't let ANY water get in the chocolate.

Remove patties from the freezer. Dip the patties in the chocolate and place back on the wax paper. (For the dipping, I take a wooden skewer, poke the candy onto the end of it and then dip and remove with a flick of the finger. You have to figure out what method works for you. It is the only difficult part and MUCH easier to actually DO than to explain).
When all are coated, place in the refridgerator until chocolate is set. Keep stored in the fridge.

8 comments:

Ricki said...

This is now the 3rd or 4th recipe for candy with potato that I've seen in the past month. . . I am dying to try this. And they look terrific, too!

Rose said...

Candies made with potato, that is so creative. Great idea, thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

I made this recipe (well, a similar one without a potato) over the holidays, and I am super impressed with your dipping/coating skills! Mine looked like ugly little blobs of poop compared to yours...it was awful! Thank goodness they tasted okay, but I was embarrassed to serve them, lol...

Courtney

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

HAhaha, sorry Courtney, that made me laugh. Keeping the chocolate VERY hot and "runny" helps a great deal, and there's a trick to it - I've made these quite a few times and am just now getting to where I don't mind posting pictures!!

crunchyveganwifelife said...

Tofu Mom, what does the potato do in this recipe? Is it the stach, texture or flavor? I am surious. I have a Polish recipe for potato candy, and I have always wondered!
Oh, and I want you to know reading your blog and looking at your food pictures maks my mouth water! lol

crunchyveganwifelife said...

Ok, I cannot spell tonight...sorry, I hope you can understand it...I am all giggly now!

Carrie™ said...

These sound great! I make chocolate covered peanut butter balls every year for Christmas and over the years my dipping skills have improved. You're right, it's just something you have to play with and find a method that works for you. I seriously want to try these.

k's mumbo jumbo said...

Oh those are yummy. I keep forgetting about these.