Friday, January 01, 2010

Garlic Kale and New Year's Black-Eyed Peas

Happy New Years! It seems black-eyed peas are traditional (somewhere, not sure where?) at New Years, and they are supposed to bring good luck. Well, I happen to love the things though (I'm hesitant to admit) my kids are not such huge fans. Unfortunately their luck in dinner choices was working against them, as I decided I needed to invent SOMETHING featuring black-eyed peas for tonight's supper.


Pantry (and refrigerator) being at a post-holiday low, I was stuck scrambling for options to go with my cute little, spotted, smoky beans. Not to fear, the garden (such as it is at this point in the winter) is still out there in the grey and mist...

Greens seemed the obvious choice, or so my Googling options indicated. And since I had plenty of winter kale, I went with that, plus a few lingering carrots I found lurking in the dregs of the garden - surprisingly none the worse for the wear.

With lots of garlic and olive oil, the resulting "Beans-and Kale" mixture turned out, not only quite delicious, but actually deemed as "acceptable" by my children. And surprisingly... well... somewhat pretty, (if kale can be pretty) too.

Enjoy, and have a GREAT, and lucky, New Years.

Garlic Kale and New Year's Black-Eyed Peas

2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
2 carrots, scrubbed and sliced into thin rounds
1 large-ish bunch of curly, or dinosaur kale, (this amount is up to you), washed, and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup vegetable or faux "chicken" broth
1/4 tsp. smoked salt or liquid smoke, to taste
3 (or more) cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 cup canned or home-cooked black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
Salt and fresh pepper, to taste

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the carrot, kale and broth; cover and cook until kale is tender, about 15 minutes. Check once or twice during cooking time; if necessary, add a little water to keep the kale from burning.
Add the smoked salt, garlic and black-eyed peas; stir to combine. Add a Tablespoon or so more water if needed. Cover and cook 2 to 3 more minutes, until peas are warmed through and garlic is translucent. Season with salt and/or pepper as needed. (A little shot of Tabasco would be good here too!!!)

7 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

YUM! So simple and delicious. That photo is great.

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

admiring your photography!

Cynthia said...

Happy New Year!

Rose said...

That dish looks so good an healthy. Your kale and carrots look gorgeous.

And I agree with the others: very nice photo.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

I think black eyed peas and greens are traditional somewhere in the south...I heard somewhere (NPR? I am a geek, I know) that the black eyed peas symbolize coins and the greens symbolize (paper) money to bring you luck and wealth in the new year :-) I am clearly not from the south, though, so I could be wrong...

Super jealous that your garden is not buried under a foot of snow and that you are still able to get produce from it!

Courtney

kelli said...

yum, i love kale!

i nominated you for the happy 101 blog award. details are at my blog, if you so choose to accept! =)
http://animalfriendlyeating.blogspot.com/2010/01/happy-101-blog-award-and-giveaway.html

Karla said...

i love my New Years Meal! it includes Nava Atlas's Greens w/Black Eyed Peas (from the 5 Ingredient cookbook). so good! perhaps next time i'll try your recipe, it looks great!