Monday, January 18, 2010

Fluffy Quinoa Almond Pancakes


This weekend, I am cleaning out my freezer, pantry and so forth, trying to use those odd ingredients I have stuck away for whatever reason. I ran across this package of quinoa flour and decided pancakes sounded the easiest and most appropriate for a lazy stay-home morning.


This recipe is a modification of several recipes I often use and the pancakes turned out LOVELY!!! Better yet, I think(?) quinoa is gluten free, should anyone need that option.

Quinoa-Almond Pancakes

2 cups quinoa flour
2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup raw almonds (or almond meal)
1 cup warm soy or rice milk
1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon light molasses or brown rice syrup

In a mixing bowl, whisk together quinoa flour, baking powder, and baking soda. In your blender or food processor, grind nuts to a fine powder, scraping the sides several times. This will take a while. (skip that step if you have almond meal, obviously) Add to blender or processor: milk, water, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and molasses.
Blend 3 to 4 minutes. Pour liquids over dry ingredients and whisk a few times, eliminating lumps. If batter is too thick, add water as necessary.

Pour a scant 1/4 cup of batter onto hot non-stick, or lightly greased griddle (heated until water dances on it) for each pancake. Turn when bubbles appear on edges and pancake is starting to brown. Cook until done to your liking.

As always, pancake recipes need a little personal "tweaking" - the batter can be made thicker or thinner, depending on your personal preference.

9 comments:

kelli said...

this recipe looks amazing! thanks for posting!

Allison, The Busy (Happy!) Vegan said...

These sound delicious. Can't wait to try them this weekend - although I'll probably add (vegan, of course!) chocolate chips - my biggest non-alcoholic vice!!

Rose said...

What a cool idea and cool recipe; the pancakes look to-die-for!

I know what you mean about cleaning out the cupboards...I think I have 3 separately-opened bags of chick pea flour that I really need to use up.

T said...

What a fantastic idea! Those look perfect.

Shannon said...

Wow they look so fluffy and delicious...Where did you get the Quinoa flour?

Bianca said...

I've been craving pancakes like nobody's business ... and I'm on a gluten-free cleanse right now. Hmmm...

Shannon said...

While quinoa in it's raw form IS gluten free, one must be careful with the flour and flakes. These products go through processing plants that may use machines for wheat products and quinoa product thus causing cross contamination. So anyone with an allergy will want to make sure the quinoa flour or flakes was processed in a plant that doesn't also process wheat or other non gluten free products.

Unknown said...

is there anything i can use to replace the coconut oil??
Thanks!

Amy said...

Got a question about quinoa...can I make the flour from whole quinoa? And would I need to rinse the quinoa first? If you have time to answer, my name is Amy and my email is amyaaustin@gmail.com. Thanks!