Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Gardein "Chicken" and Sweet Potatoes in Red Curry


The fine folks at gardein sent me a couple coupons the other day, bless their little hearts, and I immediately ran out and grabbed me some of their new crazy-yummy products.


As I may have mentioned, I don't use a great deal of meat substitutes, mainly because of minor quibbles like cost and limited availability in these remote parts, but they definitely are convenient and I really am liking these particular ones so far!!

I've been waiting for a good excuse to try these, and tonight seemed a perfect night for a quick dinner, with tons of homework, deadlines, projects and "stuff'!

I know I just did Red Curry a few weeks back, but I LOVE it, and it's so easy to throw together - I figured the "Seasoned Bites" would make a good addition 'cause in reading the package, they looked and sounded like they were made to go IN something.

My youngest Sprout and I were the only ones home for supper but we both voted "YAY" on these new "bites" or chunks in this recipe. I imagine you can think of dozens of ways to use these. Don't they look YUMMY!?!
Little Sprout commented that they were a bit "bland", and I suppose additional simmering in the curry sauce would have added a bit more flavor but I was in a hurry, I admit - and I think their mildness isn't a bad thing, (I wonder a bit about calling them "Seasoned" however; because on their own, they really aren't so much).

They ARE very good though, and as before, I love the texture especially! Not mushy like some products tend to be, and not rubbery like others I've tried!! You'd definitely want to cook them in a sauce, soup, casserole or similar dish, but if you're looking for a vegan, chicken-style protein product, check these out!!

Red Curry with Sweet Potatoes and Gardein "Seasoned Bites"

2 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 medium onion, chopped in large chunks
1 Tbsp. Thai Red Curry Paste (some brands are vegan, just read the labels)
1/4 Tsp. ground cloves
1 1/2 cups cubed sweet potatoes
1 cup cubed white potatoes
3 cups water
1/2 cup tomato sauce or puree
1 12 oz. can coconut milk
1 package gardein "Seasoned Bites"
1/4 tsp. salt
1 large garlic clove, crushed
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. finely shredded fresh ginger

Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan.
Add onion and potatoes, stirring a bit until onion is tender but not browned.
Add the curry paste and cook for just a minute or two to incorporate the curry into the oil.
Add the cloves, water and salt. Stir to mix. Cover and cook at low boil until white potatoes are tender. Sweet potatoes may be falling apart at this point. (The smaller the chunks the faster it cooks).
Stir in gardein "Seasoned Bites" and the bit of sauce they come with), tomato puree or sauce, coconut milk, garlic, sugar and ginger and cook uncovered until heated thru, about 10 more minutes. Taste and add more salt or pepper if desired.
Serve over rice. YUM!!

4 comments:

Bianca said...

I've been wanting to try the new Gardein products too...but they're soooo expensive! I wish they'd send me some coupons. That curry looks delish!

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

Mmm, I just tried Gardein for the first time last week and I loved it! The texture was spot on, and the flavor was great- though I seasoned mine pretty heavily. Your curry looks awesome!

Jen said...

this looks really good, will have to try. props on the lentil loaf recipe. i'll be trying that one as well--mr. jewbacca is always looking for a new lentil loaf recipe.

Eileen said...

Made this today...sooooo good. Thanks you. I love your blog. You make my kind of eats!