Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Happy 10th Birthday to My Youngest "Sprout"

My youngest "Sprout" hit double-digits today, celebrating her 10th Birthday in fine style.


Our wonderful friends invited us over for a most delicious supper, and afterwards, there was much excitement with friends, big sisters, presents, ice-cream, candles and so forth, just like birthdays are supposed to have...

Their youngest daughter was pretty sure she needed to help supervise the unwrapping, it's awfully hard to watch someone ELSE have a birthday when you're only two, after all!
She was actually very good about letting the Birthday Girl open her gifts, and providing running commentary in case some of us weren't sure what the gifts were.

Instead of a traditional cake, my very un-traditional "Sprout" opted for those
"Drumstick" ice-cream-cones. She hates cake, these happen to be her favorites (Hey, they're cheaper than some garish bakery birthday cake anyway - And no - I do not bake, 'nuff said...).

Yes, we all know the ice-cream's not vegan, but she's not always, and that's not the point of this post, get over it.

Not to be deterred by the lack of a cake, we decorated her cone with a birthday candle and sang "Happy Birthday" even though she was hoping to get out of that apparently embarrassing part of the event. Happy Birthday sweetie!!!

I'd also like to point out that I did some celebrating of my own this morning on the way to work, treating myself to my first Starbucks Soy Pumpkin Spice Latte of the season, compliments of my sister and a generous gift card for MY birthday last month.
Hey, I needed to insert SOMETHING vegan in this blog, right? I definitely deserve to celebrate my children's birthday's too, thinking back to her birth, ten years ago today and all the effort THAT was!! And, yes, patting myself on the back for how well my "Sprouts" have turned out, despite their crazy Mom!!

If you haven't tried the Pumpkin Spice Lattes, by all means do. The nutty taste of the soymilk complements the spices perfectly!! Cheers, Happy Birthday and happy Vegan Month of Food Blogging Craziness!!!

11 comments:

T said...

Your daughter is precious. Ice cream beats cake any day!

And oh how I miss those pumpkin lattes... the good ole USA has really cornered the market on specialty coffee drinks.

Debra said...

a soy pumpkin latte sounds awesome!

ridgegirl said...

Hi from Alaska! just got back from a trip to Seattle and went to visit "the gum wall" at Pike Place. Had shown my kids your blog with that post and they just had to see it! Hey so long as I got to visit" World Spice" all was good.
Love your site.

Jen said...

happy birthday to your sprout! i need to have myself a pumpin spice latte while the gettin's good.

Bianca said...

Happy Birthday Sprout!!! Good idea on the ice cream cone for cake thing. I wish they made those Drumsticks in a vegan version. I miss them....

Anonymous said...

Awww...happy birthday to your daughter! Entering the double digits is always exciting :-) It sounds like a nice celebration!

Courtney

KittyPaws said...

So Good makes a vegan "drumstick" cone that I know we can get here in Canada. The only problem is it is difficult to find fresh ones which means most of the time the cones are soft and not crispy but still delectable in the summer months for a little treat.

Sophia said...

Well since the comments are disable on your new post, I'll comment on this post.
That taco salad looks mighty yummy!
http://whatyourmommadidntknow.blogspot.com/

Amy said...

Happy Birthday to your youngst sprout!!! My eldest one hit the double digits a few months ago.

And I'm with her, I opted for brownies for my birthday this year instead of cake. I'd take ice cream or brownies over cake any day!

Mmm pumpkin lattes sound intriguing. I've never tried anything like one! I don't think we even get them here.

Unknown said...

Hello from Burbank, ca. We saw your post yesterday and then went straight to starbucks for a pumpkin spiced latte with soy no whip and we were in heaven. I got up this morning to enjoy some more vegan mofo and was SO DISAPPOINTED to learn that they are not vegan. They put not one but two different kinds of milk in the pumpkin spice syrup. I think we should bombard starbucks with emails to complain. love your blog!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Thanks for the Starbucks info, but the "pumpkin" syrup that's used at my local Starbucks does not have any milk products or derivatives in it. Different Starbucks (contrary to what they want you to think) use different syrups. They try and tell you they're consistent from store to store, but ask to actually read the label, (they have to show it to you). In some regions/areas, the syrup is entirely milk-product-free. I actually thought more areas used the (accidentally) vegan syrup I guess, because in my small corner of the world it is. Sorry for misleading those where it's not :(