Sunday, October 11, 2009

Good-Bad-Happy-Sad

My computer is dying.

{{"snap-crackle" goes my fan...}}
I am depressed! I have no spare computer, no computer I can borrow, no back-up plan.
When it finally gives up for good, I am computer-less for a good long time.
Done. Finished. Finito.
Unfortunately I have too many other REAL expenses that will come before replacing this silly piece of #%$%#.
{{"buzzz-whine-buz" goes some internal drive...}}
I have known for some time it was on it's dying gasps.
I HAVE backed up everything I need.
But I'm still so VERY BUMMED! {{"flicker-flicker" goes my screen...}}.
We've been through a lot in the last seven years, my little lap-top and me... sadly it's almost time to let it pass peacefully over that great electronic bridge to ... well... to wherever dead laptops end up... {{"snap-crackle" goes the fan again...}}.

But we're still limping along for short periods of time, so I'll continue to post until that day inevitably happens. Just warning you.

On a MUCH happier note, we got new couches today!!
This is a BIG BIG deal because our 20+ year old couches were the most disgusting things ANYONE has ever used as furniture.
Our "new" ones are very definitely still in the "used" category but free is a BEAUTIFUL price, and the couches are really very nice looking. (Even if the picture isn't that great!!).

We were all extremely thrilled when a friend called and asked if we wanted them. It feels like we actually have a living room again!!

Supper was short and sweet, we'd had a busy day with all that furniture-moving; and warm, cozy, comfort food was just what everyone needed...

Repeat of one of my old favorites:

CURRIED (and Roasted) PUMPKIN (or Squash) SOUP
.
.2 Tbsp. margerine
1 small onion, chopped
1 small garlic clove, pressed
2 tsp. curry powder or paste (I much prefer paste!), or to taste
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
cayenne to taste
2 Tb. brown sugar
1 Tb. very fine grated fresh ginger
Aprox 24 oz. vegetable broth
3 cups pumpkin or squash puree - either from a can, frozen or bake/steam your own and mash (my fav.) **See Note following
3/4 cup coconut milk (or 1 can of it is fine, so there's no waste)
chopped fresh green herbs for garnish

Melt margerine in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion 5 minutes, until softened. Add garlic, curry powder, ginger, salt and pepper and cook 1 minute more.
Add broth, sugar, water and puree; mix well. Reduce heat to low.
Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
Stir in coconut milk. Puree soup in blender in batches until smooth.
Heat through before serving.
Adjust seasonings - sometimes needs a pinch more sugar, or salt or cayenne - depending on your tastes.
Garnish with whatever green herby things you can find.

**I cut small sugar pumpkins or squash in quarters and roast until soft, then puree with a little vegetable broth for this recipe.

7 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

I am SO sorry about your computer! That must be incredibly frustrating! I really hope you will be able to get a replacement computer soon because I will miss your amazing recipes SO much! speaking of recipes, this dish looks delicious!

Dani said...

Glad you were able to get a new couch!! I'm sorry about your computer and yes you would be sooooo missed! Maybe you could set up a computer fund?

Debra said...

Love your new couches! I know what it is like to live on a budget- we have 7 children so we don't ever just rush out and buy new! I am sorry to hear about your computer..

kelli said...

oh no! that's so sad! can you go to a library and use their computer? (i knows it's not the same but it's something!)

i'm happy for your family and the new couch. nice new things are always exciting!

mmm i will have to try that soup! perfect for this weather! thanks for posting. =)

Anonymous said...

Ugh--I an so sorry about your computer! I have been there before...my old laptop screen would magically go blank and blink in and out for no real reason and windows would suddenly just close down for absolutely no reason...but I kept using right down until the very last second until it died! Why are computers so expensive?! I am sorry! I hope you can find something new, because your posts will be greatly missed :-)

Courtney

Bianca said...

I've been craving some pumpkin soup lately! That looks delicious. Sorry about the computer!!! Maybe it'll make it longer than you think. Hopefully...we don't wanna lose ya!

Nice couches! I've never owned a "new" couch either. I get my parents hand-me-downs, but they always feel new to me.

LucyDelRey said...

You may be able to get a free one from FreeCycle at http://www.freecycle.org/
I don't normally promote sites in comments but that is a good one. I wish you lived closer so I could give you my old one. Send me an email at lucydelrey at aol and perhaps we can make arrangements to have you just pay the shipping and nothing else. I know it will go to good use. I hope the bake sale went well!!