Thursday, October 15, 2009

Crockpot Pumpkin Butter


Another "Pumpkin" post because I love the stuff and have a bunch of dense, sweet, sugar-pie pumpkins from my garden this year...

Pumpkin Butter doesn't have any butter in it, rest assured - it's sweet, dark, dense and spicy - like pumpkin pie in a jar.

It's delicious on toast or pancakes and makes great holiday gifts!! I made a bunch last year and it's on my "to do" list for sometime soon again. As always, I've adapted this to a crock-pot, as it's my favorite (lazy) way of cooking just about anything.

OR just add tofu and you have the quickie-makings for a wonderful pumpkin pie!! (No exact recipe, I just add 1 box of silken tofu blended with 1/2 cup soymilk and 2 Tbsp. cornstarch to 3 pint jars of Pumpkin Butter and bake until set up!)


Crock-Pot/Slowcooker Pumpkin Butter

2 cups of cooked, pureed pumpkin (or you can use a 15oz can of pumpkin if you don't want to use fresh)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 Tbsp. finely grated fresh ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves

Combine all ingredients in crock-pot and stir to mix well. Cook on Low for 5 hours, stirring occasionally. It will thicken as it cooks. Do not let it burn or stick. Store in the fridge or freeze.After it's done, if you want to can it - fill the pint jars or 1/2 pint jars and seal. Process in water bath canner for 40 minutes.

7 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

Oh my goodness that looks amazing. I don't think I could ever top anything with it, though, I'd be eating it straight out of the jar!

Sophia said...

MMmmm I love pumpkin pie filling, as this like concentrated pumpkin pie fulling. I want to bathe in this, Have some extra? lol
http://whatyourmommadidntknow.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Yum! I make apple butter every year, but I have never tried pumpkin butter! I HAVE to make this. Now!

Courtney

Karyn said...

My whole house smells like the best holiday memories ever, because this pumpkin butter is in the crockpot!

Thank you.

Inside Out said...

This looks great! I have a vegetarian slow cooker blog (1 thing a day, vegetarian, made in the crock pot)and I would like to use this recipe next week and post about it.

radioactivegan said...

Do you know how much this makes? I'd like to make some for christmas gifts; my grandmother LOVES pumpkin butter. Could I double the recipe? or should I make it on two different days? Thanks! :)

girlCary said...

It made 3 Maman jam jars worth, if that's helpful.