Sunday, October 18, 2009

Basil Cream Sauce over Pasta

I am struggling with no computer, seriously.... Yet, somehow I WILL get through this "Month of Vegan Blogging" and for some perverse reason, I'm all the more determined to see it through to the bitter end, now that I'm computerally challenged...

Yes, even though my computer has passed on, I'm still here, and on FaceBook and other forums I haunt... I haven't left. Yet. I've used the library computer, my iPhone (yes, blogging that way is a crazy-tedious task!!), used my daughter's computer when she's not away at school, I MIGHT have used the computer at work though I can't really say, since I know co-workers might read this read this... at any rate, the recipes must continue, just maybe not at the same rate that I've managed so far. Stick around though... things MIGHT be changing for the better here in "No-Computer-Land"... stay tuned.

That said, tonight's recipe is a repeat. An oldie-but-goodie that I posted sometime back. I don't have access to my files, my pictures, my recipes, my notes, all that good (and useful!!) stuff (not to fear, it's backed up, I just can't access it here, tonight...)

Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce:

2 cups fresh basil leaves
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
2 ounces pine nuts
2 oz. silken tofu (or a couple heaping Tablespoons)
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup vegan (Tofutti) sour "cream"
1 cup soymilk
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
In a food processor, combine basil and garlic. Begin processing, and pour in olive oil in a thin stream. Process for about 40 seconds, or until mixture begins to emulsify. Add pine nuts and silken tofu, then blend for 1 minute.
Heat sour "cream" and soymilk in a saucepan over low heat until simmering.
Pour 1/2 of the hot "cream" into the processor with basil pesto, and pulse for 20 seconds to incorporate. Pour mixture back into "cream", and simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, serve over hot pasta or use in lasagna.
You can thicken with cornstarch while heating the "cream" part, if you want a thicker sauce, or just use more pine nuts (which is what I did).


We had this over sun-dried tomato pasta with roasted veggies on the side. YUM!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll leave you with a picture of the cat in his favorite resting spot. Not MY favorite place for him to be, but it IS rather funny.


8 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

I LOVE basil, I can't get enough of it lately so this definitely made my tummy start to growl. Looks DELICIOUS, so creamy and saucy, just my kinda thing!

Your cat is SO beautiful, I love that picture!

Unknown said...

You're making me hungry! That cat is adorable.

Debra said...

Looks delish!
Debra @ Vegan Family Style

Anonymous said...

That photo is hilarious! I love that he has the spoon in the pot with him...classic!

Courtney

Bianca said...

Kitty pic is tooo cute! I have one of my Po-po in a Crock Pot. Silly cats! Glad you're finding computers to use! I can't imagine attempting to blog from my iPhone. It does sound very tedious!

Amy said...

Hahaha!! Cats find the most awesome places to sleep!!!

And I love this pasta! Yum!

LucyDelRey said...

Teee Heee!! Looks like you have an enthusiastic sous chef!! The pic is too cute!!

Jen Treehugger said...

Your cat made me smile.