Sunday, December 14, 2008

Crazy Christmas Catch-Up (and Cookies!)

I have an embarrassing number of e-mails wondering whether I have dropped off the face of blogging forever. Eeeep.
.
No, I have not.
People, Thank-You. But I am just not that interesting, I don't have anything amazing or yummy to report or any breath-taking photos I just have to share.


Life has somehow charged into overdrive and I'm attempting to keep up. Or catch up. The rest of my blogger-friends seem to be surviving beautifully, but somehow I'm a bit swamped. After Christmas it'll be WAY less crazy in this household and I'll be back to blogging as much as ever. Not to fear; I enjoy cooking vegan, creating messes, inventing interesting recipes and eating tasty food FAR too much NOT to keep talking (or blogging) about it.

But, for those who asked - here's what the Fairly Odd Tofu Family has been doing the last few weeks...

¤ Dressing up pretty for School Christmas Concerts, Holiday Banquets, Choir Productions and other fun and festive Christmas-type events.

















¤ Playing the Role of VERY PROUD MOM for all my kids' events.


















¤ Hanging out with loved ones. (My oldest 'Sprout' and her Auntie - aren't they beautiful?)

















¤ Hanging out with crazy friends.

















¤ Choosing and cutting the "perfect" tree. (The tiny one above was for my oldest daughter's dorm room).


















¤ Playing in the snow.



















¤ And baking Christmas cookies!!















YES! I have a recipe, and it's actually a timely, and useful one!!
Here's my all-purpose basic sugar-cookie recipe. It's simple vegan-ized Betty Crocker or someone, more of a short-bread texture than some Christmas Cookies. I didn't include a frosting recipe because that part is open to your preference and interpretation....

Christmas Sugar Cookies for Decorating

1 cup (2 sticks) vegan margarine (I use Nucoa because it's cheap, but Willow Run is good too)
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
"Egg-replacer": 1 Tbsp. tofu blended with 1 Tbsp. soymilk and 1 tsp. flax seeds
OR if you don't like the "specks" in the cookies use commercial egg-replacer powder mixed with water equiv. to 2 eggs.
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 - 3 drops anise, lemon or rum extract
3 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 400°.

Cream margarine and sugar until fluffy.
Add egg-replacer, vanilla, and extract.
Beat well. Sift together dry ingredients.
Add slowly to wet mixture. Form into ball of dough.
You may need to add a tiny bit more flour or water to get the perfect consistency for rolling (I do have to "play with it" a little bit here) .
Chill for 1/2 hour.
Have extra flour on hand to sprinkle on the rolling pin and on your hands.
Roll out on very lightly floured board, a little over 1/8 inch thick.
Cut rolled dough into fun shapes.
Bake on ungreased cookie sheets for 8 minutes at 400° or until firm and barely starting to brown.
Cool on wire racks and decorate with glaze, frosting and/or sprinkles...
.
Hope you're all getting ready for Holidays in a safe, sane and FUN manner.

7 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

So glad to see you posting again!! Love the family photos and the cookie recipe :-)

Amy said...

You're not alone! I too seem to be crazy busy and disappearing from blogland (well my own anyway :P). Good to see you again :)

And lovely photos :)

Jen said...

i understand busy, but i always miss you when you're gone! i really like how you include your family in your blog. if i get the hankering to make some sugar cookies, i'll give your recipe a whirl.

safe holidays to you as well!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Looks like you are enjoying the holiday season with your family!! Mmm.... sugar cookies!

Anonymous said...

Happy you're back. Looks like you've been gone for good reason though. I hope you enjoy the holidays with your family.

Bianca said...

Everybody's busy right now! It's cool! Don't fret. We'll wait for you. Hell, I haven't even wrapped a single gift yet. Eeek!

Thanks for deleting the butt crack shot. :-)

DJ said...

That cookie recipe sounds lovely and festive! And Yay for proud mums!!