Saturday, November 08, 2008

Pico De Gallo (Fresh, Raw Salsa)

My mom gave me several pounds of almost-ripe tomatoes last week. She'd rescued them from her garden just before heavy frosts hit our area. Well, sitting in my still-sunny windowsill, ALL those tomatoes decided to ripen at once. Today.


Being the Mexican-food fan that I am, I just happened to have limes, cilantro and such hanging out in my fridge, so I decided to whip up a big ol' batch of pico de gallo, or fresh salsa. I suppose if you're into the whole RAW thing, you could call this Raw Salsa. Because it is. But whatever you want to call it, it's one of my favorites because it's the easiest stuff ever...

Here's my basic recipe. (I think I tripled it tonight). You might want to chop things a little smaller than my picture - I was getting lazy towards the end. And my jalapenos were extremely spicy... but all in all, great stuff!!

Pico De Gallo

1 1/2 cups seeded, diced tomatoes
1/4 cup diced mild onion (I like red onions or Walla Walla sweets)
1 tablespoon diced jalapenos (or more to taste)
1 tablespoon minced or pressed garlic
Juice of 2 limes
2 tablespoons (or more) finely chopped cilantro, plus extra for garnish
Salt and pepper to taste
Combine ingredients and chill.

Serve with chips.

12 comments:

crystal said...

yum! pico de gallo is my favorite!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Fresh, raw goodness!!

Anonymous said...

That sounds fabulous! If only I had some fresh tomatoes...

Courtney

Katy said...

I really need to try making my own salsa!

Lauren said...

Mmm, nothing beats fresh salsa. I am going to miss tomatoes this winter..

Chelsea said...

Pico de gallo is one of my favorite foods!

Sharon said...

Wow, great recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Bianca said...

I love me some pico! So simple, yet so satisfying.

Jen said...

i bellow, you bellow, we all bellow for pico de gallo!

that was a lousy rhyme, but you get the idea.

Melinda said...

Ok, I'm chiming in with a request for you... (Do you take requests? :) )

I'm looking for a tasty vegan Thanksgiving stuffing recipe. Do you happen to have one that you use and would be willing to share? I'm hosting for the holidays and would like to go as veggie as possible...

Annie said...

thanks for visiting my blog, yep, all that mumbojumbo in spanish is vegan, hehe...
pico de gallo is so delicious, it is a must in my house.

andrea. said...

if someone asked me to describe Pico de Gallo in 3 words i'd choose: easy, fresh and tasty.

i use serrano chiles instead of jalapeƱos, but both work well for me.
nice blog, by the way : ) !