I love gnocchi and love sweet potatoes just as much, (actually I used yams) so perfecting/veganizing this recipe was tasty and very easy. Try this, like most everything I attempt, it's not difficult, I promise.
Sweet Potato Gnocchi with 'Buttered' Chard
- 3 large sweet potatoes or yams (I use the brighter orange ones which are actually yams I guess)
- 1 cup flour or probably more
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper.
Bake the sweet potatoes/yams in 450 F oven until soft (about an hour). Peel, mash, and add cinnamon, salt and pepper to taste.
Mix in flour until dough holds its shape, but do not add too much that it becomes too stiff and hard to manage. Just add until it no longer sticks to your hands - like playdough!
Roll into long ropes and cut into pieces. Do the whole "rolling against a fork" thing if you must (you'll have to Google gnocchi-rolling directions) - I don't because I'm terribly inept at it, I just cut into ball-like blobs and it's fine, really.
Fill a pan with lightly salted water. Bring to a boil.
Drop gnocchi in.
Cook in salted boiling water until they float to the top.
Drain, saving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- 3 cups packed baby rainbow chard leaves (or coarsely chopped larger rainbow chard leaves)
- 1/4 cup gnocchi cooking water
- 1/2 tsp. dry powdered "chicken-style" bullion broth
- 1 Tbsp. Earth Balance or other vegan margarine
- 1 clove pressed or minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
In frying pan, bring water to simmer, melt in Earth Balance. Sautee chard in water and Earth Balance until wilted.
Sprinkle with garlic, vinegar and "Chicken broth" mix. Stir well, Mix in gnocchi (add additional water if it's too "sticky", and serve.