Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sweet-Potato Gnocchi with Chard

I love gnocchi and love sweet potatoes just as much, (actually I used yams) so perfecting/veganizing this recipe was tasty and very easy. Try this, like most everything I attempt, it's not difficult, I promise.

Sweet Potato Gnocchi with 'Buttered' Chard

Gnocchi:

  • 3 large sweet potatoes or yams (I use the brighter orange ones which are actually yams I guess)
  • 1 cup flour or probably more
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • salt and pepper.

    Bake the sweet potatoes/yams in 450 F oven until soft (about an hour). Peel, mash, and add cinnamon, salt and pepper to taste.

    Mix in flour until dough holds its shape, but do not add too much that it becomes too stiff and hard to manage. Just add until it no longer sticks to your hands - like playdough!

    Roll into long ropes and cut into pieces. Do the whole "rolling against a fork" thing if you must (you'll have to Google gnocchi-rolling directions) - I don't because I'm terribly inept at it, I just cut into ball-like blobs and it's fine, really.

    Fill a pan with lightly salted water. Bring to a boil.
    Drop gnocchi in.
    Cook in salted boiling water until they float to the top.
    Drain, saving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.

    Greens:
  • 3 cups packed baby rainbow chard leaves (or coarsely chopped larger rainbow chard leaves)
  • 1/4 cup gnocchi cooking water
  • 1/2 tsp. dry powdered "chicken-style" bullion broth
  • 1 Tbsp. Earth Balance or other vegan margarine
  • 1 clove pressed or minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar

    In frying pan, bring water to simmer, melt in Earth Balance. Sautee chard in water and Earth Balance until wilted.

    Sprinkle with garlic, vinegar and "Chicken broth" mix. Stir well, Mix in gnocchi (add additional water if it's too "sticky", and serve.

17 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

sweet potatoes + chard = heavenly.

Catherine Weber said...

Sweet potato gnocchi!!!!!!! OMG!!!!

Thanks for the recipe :) I'll be making this as soon as it cools off enough to turn the oven back on!

Cody said...

I really, really want to try sweet potato gnocchi, but I know the boyfriend wouldn't go for it... and I'd hate to put so much effort into something I'll be eating alone. (Though, I should really make homemade gnocchi of some sort again. It was yummy.)

trina said...

yum.

Bianca said...

Gnocchi's one of my favorite things in the whole world ever...and I've got a big batch of sweet potatoes right now! I'm definitely going to try this.

Julie said...

I've never thought of making sweet potato gnocchi! Pure genius.

-Julie
http://kindkitchen.wordpress.com/

Rose said...

I'm also a huge fan of both gnocchi and sweet potato!

Joe Horn said...

Love the blog, always enjoy reading it. I just made a gnocchi with choux pastry for the first time and it was incredible. Come take a look if you have a chance and let me know what you think. http://cookingquest.wordpress.com

Thanks so much!

Joe

Erin said...

This sounds really delicious!

Radish King said...

Yum! I've been meaning to try sweet potato gnocchi for a while now. I usually just press down on mine with a fork, the way you press pnut butter cookies but only in one direction. Makes the sauce hold, but as you wrote, it's not that big of a deal. Thanks.
Rebecca

John Paul Zavada said...

Yum. dedumdumdum. :p

I hope your young sprouts realize how lucky they are to have you...and your Gnocci.

Have you ever considered publishing a cookbook? I know a great graphic designer who can give you a steal on a wonderful layout. wink wink.

bazu said...

that looks so heavenly! I have yet to make gnocchi at home but when I do, it will have to be the sweet potato variety!

aTxVegn said...

Yum! That looks really tasty and easy enough for me to make.

Tofu Hunter said...

This looks so delicious! I'm looking forward to making it. Thanks so much for the great recipe and picture.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea. I've never made gnocchi before but seeing it with sweet potatoes has me ready to cook some right up. I used to love this sweet potato ravioli I got at a restaurant in CA and I bet this would be just as good (and a heck of a lot easier to make).

Latayy said...

the sweet potatoes you get in America are those orange kinds
We don't usually eat this kind in Barbados.
We eat the white flesh one with an almost purple skin
and a whitish grey interior
Anyways you really jazzed up this all time favourite (geez this American spell check is killing me)
I am not familiar with chard

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

I really, really love sweet potato gnocchi! These look yummy!