Sunday, February 17, 2008

Oatmeal-Tofu Veggie Burgers

I was craving veggie burgers tonight but didn't have the greatest selection of stuff in my pantry. It's amazing and amusing what can happen when faced with bits of this and that.

I combined ideas from previous burger-making recipes to go with what I had to work with: firm tofu, some oatmeal, a few nuts, shredded carrots and onions and stuff, and then smushed it all together in the food processor.

Sorta turned to mush, but the texture held together nicely.

This attempt isn't my finest burger, they're awfully flat and thin, but my kids liked them and they did turn out quite tasty, I think you'll enjoy them.

Oatmeal-Tofu Burgers

1 package firm, water-packed tofu, drained and mashed a bit
1/4 cup pecans
3 large white mushrooms, chopped (not portabellos)
1/2 cup oatmeal
2 Tbsp gluten flour (like you make seitan with)
1/4 cup carrots, shredded
1/2 a medium white or yellow onion, chopped fine
1 tablespoon sesame or sunflower seeds

Mix in the bowl of the food processor by pulsing on and off, until well mixed, but try not to turn into complete paste.

Stir in seasonings.
Season with:
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 tsp sage
couple shakes black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or one crushed clove
1 tsp onion powder

You may want to taste and make sure they are salty enough, add some if needed, they will be more bland after cooking.

Form about 6 large patties or if too moist, just spoon into a circle in a hot, well oiled skillet, and cook slowly over medium heat. Cook the first side with the lid on, then remove lid for the second side.

My kids ate these before I got a chance to take a picture of one on a bun all purdy with all the "fixins"... so just imagine that part. They'd be good baked with a mushroom gravy I bet, too!

8 comments:

MeloMeals said...

I think they look and sound great.

Unknown said...

Bumping up here to let you know I made the chikn and dumplings and it was a hit in my house. Very tasty!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

sounds interesting

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

oatmeal-tofu veggie burgers... BRILLIANT!! looks delicious.

julie hasson said...

Those burgers look delish to me!

Anonymous said...

yum!!!!, i love how tasty they look!

Cynthia said...

You know a few weeks ago I had an oatmeal pattie and I was truly surprised at it's taste. It was really very good.

Anonymous said...

Hi: These look really good!! I make veggie/meatless burgers tossing a bunch of stuff together-- mostly beans with some or all of the following....
rice, barley...
oatmeal,bread crumbs if necessary...
onions, peppers, garlic and diff veggies all processed, pattied, frozen and then cooked ... basically I can take some raw veggie leftovers...and some black beans or/and chick peas (and many others) have never tried the gluten flour and tofu...ever make chickpea gravy...I have heard it is awesome-- imagine this burger you made with mashed potatoes and chickpea gravy....
might be a comfort food with no guilt involved! Thanks for this recipe-- i will be looking at your other posts on your blog as well... :)