Friday, February 01, 2008

Ginger Pumpkin Scones

OK, so I found a recipe that was supposed to be just exactly like those yummy (but not vegan) Pumpkin Scones that Starbucks sells... I used to be in love with those things. Well, the recipe wasn't all that great, so I messed it all around and made them much better (if I do say so myself) AND made them vegan.

My family LOVES them. Then I posted them over at VeggieBoards and got a good reception there as well, so I thought I'd post them for you fine fellow-bloggers too.
Yes, LOTS of ginger in these. But I'm a fan. And it's good for you!
PUMPKIN SCONES

1/2 cup sugar
3 1/2 cups flour (I use 1/2 white, so shoot me!)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ginger powder
2 Tbsp. finely minced candied ginger
1 Tbsp. finely shredded/grated fresh ginger root
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup margarine
2 TB. coconut oil
2 cups pureed pumpkin (fresh or canned, either is fine).

In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and dry ginger and cinnamon).
Cut in margarine and coconut oil, adding a bit at a time until mixed. Add pumpkin and candied and fresh ginger and combine well.
On a lightly floured surface, knead dough a few times, pushing it into two corcles, a few inches thick.
Cut each circle into 5 or so fat triangular pieces. Imagine you are cutting a pizza so that you get even, triangular slices.(Not that it matters if they're even.)

Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until done.

I usually sprinkle the tops with sugar before baking, or drizzle with an orange glaze or something if I'm feeling all Martha Stewart-y.

6 comments:

Jodie said...

That sounds delicious!

Melody Polakow said...

Yum!

Rage And Love said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! It lead me to yours!

Those ginger pumpkin scones look so goooood!! I want to try it now!

Julie said...

My mom loves scones-thanks so much for posting this!

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

YUM!

textual bulldog said...

Those look so yummy!