Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Eve; Gingerbread House Decorating Party

I'm too tired from marathon cooking, baking and gift-wrapping to think of much creative tonight but I did want to get these pictures posted before the Holiday


My daughter's birthday happens to hit right in the middle of the crazy holiday season, so instead of trying to dream up party games and crafts, she invited friends over to make Gingerbread Houses, a tradition we started way back when she was 8.

...
Goodness, what a great time the girls had. They always do. Our kitchen exploded with gingerbread, icing and way too much candy; What more could a teenage girl want?

We pretty much have this down to a science now, we could throw a Gingerbread party for fifty without a hitch, I swear (not that I want to!!)
...
Yep, learning from past experience, I had the "house" parts all ready to go (from a kit, no vegan baking happening for these houses sorry!) before the party, icing mixed and in piping bags, and tons of candy ready to affix to the houses once assembled.

...
The girls arrived late afternoon and with much teen-age giggling and sugar-induced hilarity, they assembled some very nice looking houses.


...
This has been a much-looked-forward-to Holiday/Birthday Tradition with my daughter and her friends since they were in 2nd grade together . It's so fun to see how the houses and decorating have improved each year. (And how much LESS I need to supervise and "help" than in previous years!)

As you can see, the end results were quite creative.

Here's hoping your Holiday's are filled with laughter, fun and lots of sweet memories.
Peace and Gingerbread to all.
Merry Christmas.

9 comments:

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

what a fun and cool tradition!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

the gingerbread houses look fabulous!! glad to see that your Christmas holiday went well :0)

Sheree' said...

Looks like a very fun tradition to have forever. Great work, girls!! Happy Birthday!!!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

What a great party idea! Beautiful houses!

Dori said...

I have enjoyed your December posts very much. What a wonderful live nativity. I especially love the gingerbread houses, you can clearly see that the girls did a wonderful job and your pictures from year to year are great memoriy markers of their improvements. Happy Holidays to your fmaily and best wishes for w wonderful new year.

bazu said...

happy new year to you and your sprouts!

Anonymous said...

Cool houses and pretty neat tradition. Your daughter looks very happy (Happy belated b-day to her).

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and a happy new year!

LucyDelRey said...

I love your blog!! I love how the girls made such awesome gingerbreads houses that resemble those in a fairytale. I was wondering which gingerbread kits you bought. I saw some made by Wilton, however, yours look even better. Where did you buy them? I can't wait to make one. Happy new year!!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

HipFlyGirl: Thanks.

The "house" parts are a kit from IKEA. It was just the walls and roof.

We made the frosting and bought the candies...